Bog construction design flaw HELP!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Memorial Day weekend we dug up my old small pond, and tripled the pond size, and added a bog. When we put the liner in we were pushing the limits of the length of the liner. We used 1 liner for the pond and the bog. On the pond end things were fine we had just a few inches to play with. On the bog end I hardly enough to come up over the edge. Now that things have settled the liner is just barely above the water level. With all of the rain we have been getting in PA the bog continually floods, this 1) lowers the water level of my pond, and 2) the bog is next to the house and we've had some water leak in.

Is there any way to fix this without removing everything and trying to slide the liner a few inches towards the bog? In doing this I'm afraid we'd have the same problem at the other end of the pond.

Would it be possible to just attach a piece of liner to the liner at the end of the bog? HELP!!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would hesitate to take the whole thing apart and I'm not a fan of seaming liner pieces together. What about pulling back the short side (toward the bog) and backfilling behind it. You will be decreasing the size of the bog a bit, but you'll eek out more liner to work with. How deep is your bog? You may need to drain it down and move some gravel, but I think it would work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I would hesitate to take the whole thing apart and I'm not a fan of seaming liner pieces together. What about pulling back the short side (toward the bog) and backfilling behind it. You will be decreasing the size of the bog a bit, but you'll eek out more liner to work with. How deep is your bog? You may need to drain it down and move some gravel, but I think it would work.

Thanks. This is sort of what I was thinking about doing. I texted my husband and told him not to make plans for Saturday. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Totally agree ^^^ I had to raise the back edge of my bog a little, as it aged settled etc the water was too high (darn slope build!)

Ask a Question