Bog construction question like everyone else apparently

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi everyone so I think I have a pretty firm grip on the design of my bog pond, but I wanted to get a little more specific with the equipment questions.

Overall plan is elevated bog, waterfall into the main pond, then have an intake bay to collect debris and protect wildlife/insects/etc. before going back up to the bog and PVC manifold.

It seems like this Aquascape kit would get me just about everything I need for the bog pond, I would just need to get another liner and underlayment for the main pond, right? https://www.amazon.com/Aquascape-Backyard-Waterfall-Landscape-83001/dp/B00RM1B8T2/

I could use the pump vault and aqua block for the intake bay, then everything else to construct the bog (except the spillway) and then I was thinking of just cutting the back off the spillway to let water flow more freely and having that be how water falls back into the main pond. I priced things out and it seems a little cheaper to go the package route. My main worry is that the pump is too powerful? Since we want water to have some time in the bog. The whole system would probably be around 2000 gallons between the bog and pond. Should I just build my own system with a 1000 gpm magnetic pump?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The attached is a link showing how what you would assume is a HUGE flow of water is barely above a trickle.
The kit your looking at is more for a pondless waterfall can it be used to create a bog? sure. but the spill way is almost useless. The kink free tubing is the cheaper of the two types of flex pvc. To make a bog out of those parts your missing a pipe manifold to run across the bottom of the bog to discharge the water flow evenly across the bottom of the bog. Depending on the water flow 1 1/2"pvc or 2" with slits cut across 1/3 of the pipe every 6" does the job. some even make a clean out pipe on the opposite side for a clean out. but i'm more on the side of a properly sized bog and manifold and this is unnecessary.

A aquablock is 50 bucks
pump vault 270
good flex pvc 25 feet 50 bucks
2" pvc with couplings and 45 degree elbows estimate 75
10 x15 firestone liner 115.
UNDERLAYMENT 50
stone 400 min

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@GBBUDD covered it exactly - that kit is perfect for what it's designed for, but it's not designed for what you want to do!

Some times the kits ARE cheaper (if they're designed for your purpose) but like @GBBUDD said they may give you a few pieces that are not as heavy duty as you could buy on your own or even give you parts and pieces that are unnecessary for your project. Piecing it together yourself is almost always the more economical way to go.

Are you adding a bog to an existing pond? Or starting from scratch? You can use the same piece of liner for both bog and pond, if your build allows for it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can't help with blocks clean out etc, mine is just pvc and pea gravel. No clean outs, no blocks, simple but works great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
$905 is a lot of hard earned money and it's only part of what you'll need. You'll need a liner, gravel and plumbing.

My bog is approximately 14 feet x 5 feet and 12 " of gravel covering two runs of 2" pvc about 10 feet long each.
I spent $139 for the liner and $120 for all the gravel. PVC pipe and fittings are cheap. I probably spent less than $50 on that.

This gave me a simple, extremely effective bog filter that didn't break the bank.

My bog is like addy's, but I opted for two clean out stacks to flush the manifolds out once every couple of months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
as an alternative, you can do what I did; use large (6-8") round stone as a first layer, then a 12" layer of 2" round stone, followed by the proverbial 12" of pea gravel. A bit deeper dig but essentially does the same thing in allowing water to settle out below your gravel layer. I also used 4" corrugated drain tile (tube) instead of the smaller diameter pvc. Again, allows settling and a lot harder to clog up. I attached this tubing to my cleanout vault at the lowest point of my bog. Price it out; I'm sure you'll find it a lot less $$ than aquablox, but more labor.

Ask a Question