Bog filter and treating blanketweed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
a coating of algae on rocks and such is normal and to be expected, they won't stay pretty like when they were new. And some string algae is common in the spring, but elevated phosphates would definitely encourage it. Most of the expert ponders in this group (I am not one) strongly recommend against ever using chemical algaecides as they can cause serious problems, I'm sure some of them will chip in more on that. Your phosphates could be elevated from excess fish food, maybe?
I just wanted to clarify, I meant I am not an expert, not that I am not in agreement with not using algaecides. Realized upon re-reading that that was a very ambiguous statement

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bog is about a 1/4 size of the pond.
Have a 10000L pump with one outlet to the bog and one entering back into the pond the opposite end for some circulation. I also have a satellite strainer connected to the pump opposite end of the pump.
I have the feed to the bog regulated by a valve so I’m guessing 4-5000 Ltr per hour through the Bog.
I do have large pebbles on the pond base which you can see from attached pictures.
ok clearly no algae in those pics by blanket algae are you referring to algae that looks like a marines hair cut growing on all the rocks " or a bit longer like a fresh boys haircut or are you talking 3 foot long strands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok clearly no algae in those pics by blanket algae are you referring to algae that looks like a marines hair cut growing on all the rocks " or a bit longer like a fresh boys haircut or are you talking 3 foot long strands
Some of it is short some is long around 12-18”.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hair algae is amazing stuff while few will agree with that statement it grows very very fat. And is a good sign of lack of filtration . Ovestocking. Overfeeding. In general to many organics in the water. Too many leaves or old dead decaying plants sitting at the bottom of the pond etc. Then one day after you have done your part it can disappear almost over night.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hopefully 5-6
Your pond, gallon wise, is 1585 gallons, more or less. Big enough to keep one to two kio. They create a lot of waste get huge and will make kids with the goldfish you have. You would be better off getting schubunkins very pretty great colors, easy to care for.

Your pond is beautiful.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your pond, gallon wise, is 1585 gallons, more or less. Big enough to keep one to two kio. They create a lot of waste get huge and will make kids with the goldfish you have. You would be better off getting schubunkins very pretty great colors, easy to care for.

Your pond is beautiful.
Thank you.
All from your great advice!

Ask a Question