Bog filter assistance

Reaction score
I have a chicken coop and I am introducing two ducks. I am building a "pond" out of a tractor tire (4' diameter, about 18" deep) and a bog filter out of a truck tire. I have never done anything with water landscaping before so I am trying to figure out what submersible pump to buy (gph, best manufacturer) and the minimum diameter vinyl tube and PVC for the bog. I saw a post that said 1.5" PVC is minimum for this kind of thing, but I think it may depend on the pump output as well. My setup so far is going to be:
  1. pump with 1/2" or 3/4" outlet and 1" PVC adapter to clamp hose to
  2. 8' of 1" vinyl tube going uphill to bog
  3. PVC adapter from 1" to 1-1/2" going into bog

Attachments

• IMG_2609.JPG
    IMG_2609.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 233
Reaction score
Looking at the picture I am just going to ballpark you at around 700 gph and 1" tube. Any more than that and you will have too much flow for what I would consider a small area. This is just my opinion. I have no advice on what kind of pump to get.

Reaction score
Thanks, I ordered the Danner Pondmaster 700 gph. When it arrives, I will bring it to Lowes or Home Depot and get all my hardware.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There were others who showed these and used that black 6 mil plastic and even though it does not last but a couple of years they did not care .Is this for the ducks .

Reaction score
I ordered 40 mil EPDM liner and some "6 ounce" fabric underliner. I want it to last at least a decade.

Ask a Question