Bog filter big enough

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in the planning stage of making my koi pond. I am planning on making an upward bog filter out of half a blue 55 gal plastic barrel. My pond will approximately be 25ft long and 5 feet wide and depth will very but the deepest will be 4 feet. If this isn't big enough what if I use both halves of the barrel and have two bog filters?

I am new and just trying to figure everything out early so I make a few mistakes as possible. Thank you for any advise and help you can give me.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

As a rule of thumb, you want the surface area of your bog to be approximately 30-40% of the surface area of your pond. You want lots of room for plants and gravel - the two more important components of any bog filter.

Your plastic barrel idea sounds more like a skippy filter than a bog filter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1641341404099.gif
@sompa

brokensword

...and not every pond in Michigan has a loon!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
what Lisa said; you'll get some filtering but you'll flounder if you intend to keep that size pond going with barrels. I use to have a 4'x4' x3' deep bog v1 for a pond a lot smaller than yours and eventually, found out it's limitations. Bog v2 is now 20' x 3' x 3' deep; I'm much happier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I use a 55 gallon barrel for a sand and gravel filter and supplement it with a bog.

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Agree with all above. I have just shubunkins. My bog is 27 x 4.5 x 2.5 the pond is 27 x 10-20 x 5.5 to 1 feet deep more or less. The bog takes care of the pond perfectly.

Ask a Question