Bog filter failure - has this ever happened to anyone else?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
Lots of great theories here! Could a piece of solids (pea stone?) have been pumped into the system and, not being able to escape through your slits, got lodged at that one spot and eventually built enough pressure to rupture?

What's feeding your bog? Where is the water being pulled from? Do you have pea stone in your pond?

Just another theory Honestly, seems unlikely given that sch 40 pvc is rated for, I think, 450 psi and most pond systems operate at a psi less than normal house pressure, which is usually under 80. But I wanted to contribute something! :)

You don't happen to pump 150ºF water through your system do you? Haha.
Lol no. Nice and cold well water. The bog pump (2000 GPH) rests in a crate suspended above the bottom of the pond. There are 2-3” rocks on the bottom (no pea stone).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
Update: I rebuilt the filter using a chopsaw to make consistent cuts every 2 inches (1/3 of the way through the pipe) and installed it splits DOWN this time. And I added four bags of pea stone. This morning, my pond is crystal clear. I haven’t seen the bottom of this in months. Before and after pictures attached. Thank you all for your advice and help.

Attachments

• 7EC9A372-D1A4-44FC-9B1C-A3309E1A32C2.jpeg
    7EC9A372-D1A4-44FC-9B1C-A3309E1A32C2.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 75
  • A48FDCD8-8C74-4A09-A702-AE9933A55AE0.jpeg
    A48FDCD8-8C74-4A09-A702-AE9933A55AE0.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 72
  • C819FA83-6DEE-4B06-AFAF-D2D2F3B7AB56.jpeg
    C819FA83-6DEE-4B06-AFAF-D2D2F3B7AB56.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 68EDEFE1-59CC-470C-A41B-B90BF92DDBCD.jpeg
    68EDEFE1-59CC-470C-A41B-B90BF92DDBCD.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 76
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
So, I ask again...was the ruptured pipe of the DWV variety or not? I don't see anything printed on the offending pipe.
Yes it was. And apparently the pipe I used to replace it is the same. So I’m hoping the slits down 2 inches apart will do the job. I’ll be keeping an eye on the bog for sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
So the mystery is solved?

So now anyone building a bog beware... stay away from DWV PVC!

When I go to Lowe's they have those two types separated on different sides of the isle. I'm guessing you found the culprit. So, I'm assuming the DWV has a thinner wall since it's not meat to be used for anything with pressure behind it.

Good catch!
Mystery is solved. That pipe combined with too few cuts, and inconsistent cuts at that, created a weakness in the pipe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You have two branches in that manifold. You should have a clean-out on both. If you get any muck buildup, it will just get trapped in that side with the cap.

So, you used the same thin walled pipe? Why would you do that?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The schedule 40 that he had pictured that has the dwv markings isn’t thin walled, it is dual purpose, the walls should be the normal schedule 40 thickness. Have some of that laying around the house.

Agreed does need to add the clean out stack to the other pipe, that is probably part of the problem as well. If that leg gets clogged up all the water is forced through the slits on the first leg, creating the channeling effect he saw in the bog. Which in Turn could have had the pebbles abrading the pvc until it got thin enough to blow out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
You have two branches in that manifold. You should have a clean-out on both. If you get any muck buildup, it will just get trapped in that side with the cap.

So, you used the same thin walled pipe? Why would you do that?
Because I had built and installed the new filter before I understood that there was a bad schedule 40 pipe. By the time I read that, it was already buried.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Schedule 40 is not recomended for any pressurized pipe. It is strong enough to push water trough an open ended pipe, return pipes and our bogs. Even swimming pools but it is mainly drain pipping. Schedule 80 is recommended for slight pressurized pipe but not necessary in our practices. I would have to agree with adding a lot more slits to the pipe. The pea stone will slow down the flow and balance out the pressures in the pipe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Schedule 40 is not recomended for any pressurized pipe. It is strong enough to push water trough an open ended pipe, return pipes and our bogs. Even swimming pools but it is mainly drain pipping. Schedule 80 is recommended for slight pressurized pipe but not necessary in our practices. I would have to agree with adding a lot more slits to the pipe. The pea stone will slow down the flow and balance out the pressures in the pipe.
Yes, I agree. Many slits are the key.

I made mine 1-1/2" apart. One leg of my manifold is 10 feet long, the other slightly shorter. Both are 2" pvc schedule 40.

Both have clean-out stacks and every two months or so I'll open them up (one at a time) and let the pump push out any buildup. The water comes out black for about 3 seconds then clears up.

If at any time I see the return water slow down dramatically, I'll do the clean-out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I made mine 1-1/2" apart. One leg of my manifold is 10 feet long, the other slightly shorter. Both are 2" pvc schedule 40.

Both have clean-out stacks
My cuts are a random 6ish inches apart, some further some closer, no clean out stacks. My bog has never given me a issue in slowing down. I do have a drain pipe installed to drain the pvc pipes, one year I opened it all that came out was clean water. So not have messed with it ever since. But mine is a big bog, 26ish feet long 4-5 feet wide, 2-3 feet deep.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have the same problem on my bog piping, how did you fix yours? Thank you

Ask a Question