Bog filter for plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I am new to ponds I recently bought a wooden raised pond (175 gallons) I haven’t set up yet , I am really sold on the idea of a bog filter , but I have no idea or time to make one . I know this is a custom project but I don’t have the tools or the exposure to the parts needed to build one . Is there anyway someone can build it for me (I think a 20 gallon container will do just fine) and I will get the pump, I will pay for the labor and shipping . I’m sorry if this sounds dumb I Just wanted to see if it was a possibility. I Just the pvc plumbing part done and just basically have to box ready to install . Let me know if anyone is up to the task . Thank you in advance :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Where do you live? Maybe you could put out some feelers in your area, to see if there are any handy people who could help you. Maybe there is a koi/goldfish/garden club near you — you could ask them for help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

It could be done and shipped, shipping would be a hit, size and weight. Where you live would help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You may be making this harder than you think - you can create a bog filter out of a any sturdy container. A planter box, a sturdy tote, etc. A few easy to obtain plumbing parts and you'd be in business.

However, another idea would be to buy a small waterfall filter and use the bog at your bog filter. It's already plumbed and ready to go. Just fill it with stone and plant the top and voila! Bog filter! Not recommending this brand in particular, but the first one that came up in my search:

I've seen lots of ponds where the existing biofalls was converted to bog filtration. You just need to keep an eye on root growth so you don't end up overflowing it - but that's true of any bog, really.

I'm rather surprised the pond industry hasn't hopped on the "add a bog" bandwagon and created a simple bog filter you could buy... maybe a business idea for someone!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1629392157814.gif
@Yady23

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This makes me wonder if I couldn't make this stainless steel water fall canister into a bog filter?
I will go and start my own thread on this. I know it would not be big enough to keep my whole pond clean but it could be a help maybe?

IMG_4095.JPG

@Yady23 I think you could do this bog thing yourself w/all the help from people here who have done one!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Could the above filter work as a bog? Get the media out of plant something ? The dimensions are 20x17x14. Does anyone know if those come ready to install with the in and out connection ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
100% yes. The in is the hose connection and the out is the waterfall.
Another question sorry I am a newbie :( this waterfall is rated at 1800 gph. My pond is 171 gallons. Is that too much power ? Would it be ok ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
At 171 gallons a pump would need to be basically 1000 gph in order to even look like a waterfall your pond will be a bit turbulent but not too bad the filter your looking at has to be comparable to the size of your pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Using a bio falls as a bog would work. But it could be a too small surface area?

I am going to make my second bog out of a black plastic bin from tractor supply, and plumbing and sprinkler PVC from Lowes. My first one I cut pvc and glued it. This time I found parts that screw together and will use some plumber's tape to seal it. I have to see if I can make a Y off my existing pump or add a new pump. Since it is just for my bog, it can be a relatively small pump, should be under 50$. My bin/new bog is 2 feet by 3 feet. My first one I made a hole through the bin. This one I am just running the water line over the top since it will be hidden with plants soon enough.

It is my project for tomorrow, hopefully not all day, but you never know. I will post pics when I am done including parts. Last time I did not take pics or I would just post those.

Ideally, the bog is overflowing with cascading plants so it can be uglyish until it is covered.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
But it could be a too small surface area?

On a big pond, yes. For a pond that's under 200 gallons, it would be well-suited to the task. A biofalls essentially is a bog without the plants. Most have filter pads or bioballs to add to the biological filtration. A few plants in the top will only increase the value of the filter as those plants take up nutrients before the water returns to the pond.

Again, a small bog filter will need more tending than a large one. Plants grow AMAZINGINGLY fast in a bog environment, so you need to watch to make sure you aren't overwhelming the filter and redirecting water out of the biofalls. A small bog works best with small plants. I'd use things like water hyacinths, water cress, or impatiens - things that die back in the fall and are easily thinned out, and don't develop huge root systems that will make it difficult to remove them when the time comes. No irises or rushes for example.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry dimensions are: 24x25x24. My only thing would be how to position it on top of the raised pond . This is a pic of my pond :

Attachments

• A503C145-DD75-42E8-875E-1DBE921415D9.jpeg
    A503C145-DD75-42E8-875E-1DBE921415D9.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 38

Ask a Question