Bog Filter gone wrong

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I read up on bog filters for about a year, before building one. I have spent loads of money on gravel as well as time and energy. I posted some photos a while back of how clear the pond was after about 5 days maybe. Now it is a thick pea soup again. All plants in the bog have grown well and some have flowered. We were enjoying the clarity. Now I have just lost interest as I don’t know what to do. It’s more than pea soup!! The bog is so pretty to with the plants and stuff. I think it’s totally blocked already with algae. Does anyone recommend going back to my pressure filters or anything else I can try. Please help!!!

Mike

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you still have good flow through the bog? Are you drawing the water from the bottom of the pond (which can block the pipes) or mid pond level. Are you feeding the fish tons, are you over stocked?

I, with no exaggeration, have not had green pea soup water since the day I started up the bog 10 years ago. I do not feed the fish a lot, I do not have koi, do have way over 100 fish, shubunkins and some plain goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Very sorry to hear this :( I'm so new to having a bog that I don't have enough experience to offer advice. I agree with addy, have you checked the flow through the bog? Do you have a clean out line...maybe you could check it? Is the bog your only filtration?

When I get green water, I make sure I've got lots of aeration, some shade and good water movement. Also don't over feed the fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is the bog your only filtration?

When I get green water, I make sure I've got lots of aeration, some shade and good water movement. Also don't over feed the fish.
My system runs only on the bog. Pond in full sun. It should work if enough water is going through it and sucking out the pond nutrients.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Please Don’t give up hope. Is the bog the narrow concrete planter? Did you build the main bog? It’s cause and effect so we just need to figure out the cause. Do you use city water? Could be high in phosphates. Is it too warm causing the bloom? Overstocked or over feed? Until you can figure out the cause and remedy a UV light is quite good at clearing up pea soup. For enjoyment’s sake worth the investment often times. I have one stored away, used it before I built the bog.
whatever you do don’t be tempted to use chemical cleaners or quick fixes although a UV will clear it up quickly. Trick with UV is the right size for pond and right flow rate for the filter, usually low flow to expose the tiny algae to the light longer. Keep us updated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My bog is new as well. If you tell us more about your bog build maybe someone can figure out your problem. Hopefully it will be something easy. I would be interested in the solution.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi All

I read up on bog filters for about a year, before building one. I have spent loads of money on gravel as well as time and energy. I posted some photos a while back of how clear the pond was after about 5 days maybe. Now it is a thick pea soup again. All plants in the bog have grown well and some have flowered. We were enjoying the clarity. Now I have just lost interest as I don’t know what to do. It’s more than pea soup!! The bog is so pretty to with the plants and stuff. I think it’s totally blocked already with algae. Does anyone recommend going back to my pressure filters or anything else I can try. Please help!!!

Mike
1. Photos
2. What size pump
3. What size pipe
4. How far is the water pumped
5. how deep is the bog what is the over all size of the it
6. how big is the pond
7. how big is the bog.

like addy the day i turned the bog on i have had anything but clear water no pea sop ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mike, a few things that may help.

1) Confirm what the cloudyness is coming from, too much fish food? Dying vegetation?

2) What is your water like, have you tested?

3) If you have a skimmer, put some batting in there away from the pump and over 2-3 days you will be amazed at how much algae it picks up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'll add keep a good eye on it if it is your only skimmer or suction drain as they can clog very quickly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I noticed my water turn green a slight bit. I can still see down quite a bit, but not clear to the bottom.
I am certain it's from the fish stirring the green biofilm coating on the liner. They are in full spawn mode. The males are doing their usual relentless chasing down of the females. They're bouncing off the liner and even splashing like crazy on the surface. A lot of activity.

Ask a Question