Bog filter installation Not as easy as I thought!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Oiy you guys didn't tell me how hard it would be to get the darn tarp mounted on the tank :D

Whew. First I had to find some kind of mounting bracket. Then I had to traverse the waterfall to line up the holes and put in the screws. Got the messy silicone all over my fingers of course. Came inside looking like Frankenstein with the wife screaming not to touch anything :D I used lock washers as well as nuts. Hope that's ok.

Here are some pics. If you guys have any suggestions on the layout or next steps I'm all ears.

I bought some waterfall foam and plan to shore that up on Friday. Oh that rock on the right is covering up the waterfall for the main drain. Still having trouble with water pressure. Got a company coming out next week.

20141126_225635_zps610cd8b1.jpg

20141126_225644_zpsfdc1a98c.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am a tiny lost, you attached the liner to the tank so the water would flow from the tank onto that liner? Maybe my brain is still asleep................ When I used tanks incorporated into my pond system, I put in pvc tubing, via drilled in holes, to allow the water to flow out back to the pond.

Get some of those cheap latex gloves use them when you mess with the silicone, peal off throw away, sure saves the hands.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very interesting. I hope it works out for you. Looks like it would. I'd probably just use pvc as an exit.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Don't really understand what I am viewing in the photos. Where is the up-flow grid? If you attached the liner to the tank, where is the outflow weir? Other questions too!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
No you guys are right. I didn't want to go with the PVC tube and instead went with the waterfall coming from the top. Gives me more water surface area and a wider opening for water to flow over the rocks.

Just like this guy:

Accept I went with cutting the piece off completely and attaching the liner.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you foamed it like the final picture in the video, you will most certainly have leaks at some future time. Foam is not a waterproof sealant,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I used a waterproof silicon not foam. Foam is only for the rocks and the tarp is behind them and flows into the pond so even if the waterfall leaks, we're good :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
ok its up an running!!

Are the pads supposed to float up that high or am I doing something wrong?

20141130_105325_zps6f28e7f9.jpg

Ask a Question