Bog filter sizing

moe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new too the site and to pond construction. I am planning on building a bog filter out of left over 4" & 3" pvc pipe. I've laid out the system with the 4" as the manifold with the 3" branching off in the field. My pump will provide a 4000 gph flow. Any suggestions on how much perforation/holes or slots I should install to provide a balanced flow? Is more better? Look forward to your feed back...Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
Can you supply us with more details?
Dimensions/description of pond, dimensions/description of planned "bog"?
Photos if you have some.

moe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Mitch, Thanks for responding. I have a raised bog, 32 sf with a 12" deep stone field. The pump is 5200 gph with a 4000 gph in configuration. The pond is 6000 gal rectangle with the bog at one end, opposite the bog is a water fall is a skimmer which feeds the pump. Not planning on fish at this time, just plants in the bog and along the edges with a dipping pool area in the middle. Hope this helps. I was thinking a 2" saw kerf every 4" on the 3" pvc pipe but I didn't want to over do it and end up with poor circulation in the field. I appreciate your impute.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! Lots of bog owners/lovers here! I'm not much on construction details (@MitchM can definitely be more help there) but can share lots about what to grow in your bog once it's up and running!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was thinking a 2" saw kerf every 4" on the 3" pvc pipe
I cut my two inch pipes about every 4-6 inches, not measured, around 1/2 way through with a saw jaw (hubby ran the saw jaw). I have good flow the entire length 27 feet x 2 pipes. My pump is around 6800 gph minus some splitting of the flow at least 3/4 goes through the bog.

Welcome to our group.

moe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to
I cut my two inch pipes about every 4-6 inches, not measured, around 1/2 way through with a saw jaw (hubby ran the saw jaw). I have good flow the entire length 27 feet x 2 pipes. My pump is around 6800 gph minus some splitting of the flow at least 3/4 goes through the bog.

Welcome to our group.
Thank you for the info.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Materials are being stock piled, I spent a whole hour working on the 2" pipe perforations for the bogs . I took the 2" pvc and taped them together in two's then taped two bundles together and marked out every 6" and used a circular saw with a standard carbide tipped blade and cut a 1" deep cross cut across all four pipes at once. I do feel the drilling method would be a more efficient delivery through out the bog but if there's one thing water does, it takes the path of least resistance. So if the pressure is greater at the beginning of the pipe and little is making it to the end of the pipe I don't think it will take all that long for nature to balance its self out. Don't forget there's going to be a foot of 3/8" gravel on top of the pipe. I have also been playing with the idea of placing perforated pvc sheets a lot the pvc pipe creating a negative pressure or / reduced pressure area for solids to settle and not raise up and clog the stone and roots. But so far the only sheets I can find will add substantial costs it would have to be strong enough to hold up the stone and someone walking on it.

Attached Files:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice neat job! I placed my cuts facing down. Not sure if you need the sheets laying on the pipes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd be concerned that the PVC sheets would eventually clog the whole system. The last thing you want to do is dig that foot of gravel out so you can clean out the built up debris. Ideally no solids should enter your bog. Are you planning to pump directly from the pond to the bog, or do you have plans for a pre-filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd be concerned that the PVC sheets would eventually clog the whole system. The last thing you want to do is dig that foot of gravel out so you can clean out the built up debris. Ideally no solids should enter your bog. Are you planning to pump directly from the pond to the bog, or do you have plans for a pre-filter?
I have read suggestionsboth ways with the cuts, mine also face up
Not sure how effective it will be but I connected up pipes on my bog filter so I can blow out the lines. I do wish I would have tested the flow prior to install though considering the abstract design.
20180407_181749.jpg
20180407_181811.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
Wondering myself how many holes/spacing of holes/cuts I should plan for this bog filter measuring 2 feet long? (The high pipe will be cut down once I have buried most of it in my pea stone bed.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 385

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put mine around 6 inches apart, but my lines are 27 feet long. Put a lot of cuts like done in the post above you. Have some good flow going on.

Ask a Question