addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do a big chop down now and then, some control!

The west yard sort of west , this is the deck pond that waterfalls down a 85 foot stream to the big pond.
Guess I should post this in my pond thread also lol a update!

20200711_091122.jpg

The "back" yard, facing south full sun, 25 degree slope down to the pond. You can see the big pond there are 5 other ponds that are hard to see. The lotus pond is just behind the bird feeder pole.
20200711_090947.jpg

The bees and east wild garden. way over on the slope a circle of flowers, wild, for the critters.
20200711_090909.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I came across this article, not sure if any of you have seen this...
scalmost
No I have not but I have not looked for how to do a bog in a long time.
I had not found that post and i am kinda glad i didn't. Not because i see something wrong it's just none of the builders notes rubbed off on my build. I did not reduce the horizontal pipe. I used 24" for the snorkel and 24" for the horizontal CENTIPEDE . The idea was for the water as it came into the bog to hit a settling chamber right off the bat . a 8 or 12" pipe will still have some flow within the pipe at my size pushing at least 6000 gph i was concerned the heavier solids would blow out of the centipede and lodge in the rocks. using a 24 inch centipede. i felt would eliminate this concern. The solids would never leave the pipe and when it was time for a cleaning it would be pretty easy. The other issue I have is the author did not utilize aquablocks. He installed the larger stoner on the centipede and reduced to the 3/8" which is the same process, but I feel a lot of the organics will get locked in the gravel. In short i believe there are a great deal of configurations that can work with a bog i have even seen the bog installed at the bottom of a swimming pool conversion. No plants what so ever and that pond was crystal clear. Will it suffer from lack of plants i can't say . I can only say it won't benefit from the use of plants. You can see my build in the link below these posts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,
I am building my first Koi pond...I know it is not an easy task. I always wanted one, and I figured it is a good time to do it.
I am located in Toronto, so we have to consider the cold weather, the raccoons, the minks and the blue herons.

I have pretty well read most of the info posted by @addy1, @poconojoe, @GBBUDD, @Lisak1 and others.
For me, no doubt that I want to go with a bog filter. The question is which method? I know that @addy1 has done the 12" pea gravel method and @GBBUDD went with the snorkel and centipede, and 3 sizes of rocks method.

The size of the pond will be about 12000 gallons..."I got a bit backhoe-happy" when I was digging the pond.

I just saw this YouTube video by Nelson Water Gardens. She keeps referring to 12" of pea gravel and not more.

Would love to hear your opinions on this. Thanks in advance.
Hi Mitch. I just built a bog that I showed in my thread my goldfish pond. I used 12 inches of pea gravel over about 10 inches of river rock. I have about 8 inches of water on top for floating plants and bog plants. Everything worked out well. Good luck with your pond ! https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-goldfish-pond.6742/post-438087

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Country
Canada
scalmost

I had not found that post and i am kinda glad i didn't. Not because i see something wrong it's just none of the builders notes rubbed off on my build. I did not reduce the horizontal pipe. I used 24" for the snorkel and 24" for the horizontal CENTIPEDE . The idea was for the water as it came into the bog to hit a settling chamber right off the bat . a 8 or 12" pipe will still have some flow within the pipe at my size pushing at least 6000 gph i was concerned the heavier solids would blow out of the centipede and lodge in the rocks. using a 24 inch centipede. i felt would eliminate this concern. The solids would never leave the pipe and when it was time for a cleaning it would be pretty easy. The other issue I have is the author did not utilize aquablocks. He installed the larger stoner on the centipede and reduced to the 3/8" which is the same process, but I feel a lot of the organics will get locked in the gravel. In short i believe there are a great deal of configurations that can work with a bog i have even seen the bog installed at the bottom of a swimming pool conversion. No plants what so ever and that pond was crystal clear. Will it suffer from lack of plants i can't say . I can only say it won't benefit from the use of plants. You can see my build in the link below these posts.
Very true, @GBBUDD! There are so many configurations, ideas and recommendations. I still haven't decided what to do with this bog...I figured I'll get the liner in first, while I decide what to do. Most likely, it will be something like you did and also have to consider what @addy1 has done, I think her's is very successful. From what I've read, it seems the stones and the pea gravels that are doing a lot of the work.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did the lazy ponders bog, liner, pipes, pea gravel, plants. No rocks, aqua blocks snorkels etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I did the lazy ponders bog, liner, pipes, pea gravel, plants. No rocks, aqua blocks snorkels etc.
Same here. I followed what addy did and the results are amazing. My water had never been this clear in over a decade. It gave new life to my pond including the mental excitement of having crystal clear water.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@addy1, @poconojoe...yeah! More and more I read about this, I am leaning towards this. When I consider what @CometKeith's consultant mentioned, it makes a lot of sense. I still have this fear of a clean out pipe...and what I have to do clean it out...I guess, I'll find out soon enough. It's too bad that we aren't close enough to each other to do a pond visit :(

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I still have this fear of a clean out pipe
lol I planned on putting one in, did not put one in. Never have had a issue where I would have needed it in the past 9 years.

I do not draw my water for the bog from the bottom of the pond which probably helps with a debris build up in the pipes. My in put is about a foot from the bottom of the pond. I do have a external pump with a leaf basket before it. Over the summer I never need to empty it. So mainly large debris free water enters the bog.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My input is about a foot from the bottom of the pond. I do have a external pump with a leaf basket before it. Over the summer I never need to empty it. So mainly large debris free water enters the bog.
So, do you clean the bottom of the pond at all?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So, do you clean the bottom of the pond at all?
I used to, go out with my net and scoop, dump in on a screen to save the critters, put muck in bucket. After only getting 1/2 of a home depot bucket worth a few years in a row I quit doing that.

Have not cleaned the bottom in a few years. When I walk in the pond, it is mainly on dropped pea gravel, dumped over kitty litter and snails. Oh and a few rocks that the deer etc tend to knock in.

I have a good aerator I move around now and then it stirs things up for the bog to filter.

Ask a Question