Bog filter

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm seeing several posts about using a bog garden as a biofilter. I have a small pond above the main pond fed by a waterfall. I keep several potted plants in it and already they have outgrown their pots. If I fill the area with gravel with the water coming in from below the gravel could I leave the plants in their pots and replace the dirt with pea gravel. Most of our plants don't winter over well and I am concerned about having to clean the whole thing out in the spring with rotted plants. If I keep them in pots I could just lift them out for the winter. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I did a similar thing where we have a top pond with a waterfall moving down to a lower pond. The top pond is heavily planted with potted plants it acts like more of a settlement pond then a bog filter, I will say this my plants have trippled in size in the last 3 weeks and all the sediment that comes through the waterfall seems to stay put I have only ever needed to vac out the top pond. Good luck.

Ask a Question