Bog garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do I add a bog garden to this pond. Up on top. I also use a Skippy filter which doesn't work. Pond is 1571 gal

Attachments

• 15703902323371937474141.jpg
    15703902323371937474141.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 121
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm looking to add a bog to an existing pond too . Our pond sizes are similar, mine is 1700 gallons. I'll be interested to follow this thread :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How do I add a bog garden to this pond. Up on top. I also use a Skippy filter which doesn't work. Pond is 1571 gal
It depends. If it was my pond I would dig a hole on the upper edge, probably the length of the pond, as wide as you can or want to, use some of the dirt to build the edge up higher than the pond edge. It does not need to be much. That way you can have a liner hole and have the bog waterfall into the pond.

Plumbing depends on what you use. I use a external pump, pull the water from the pond, pump it into the bog under the pea gravel. Mine is deep around 2.5 feet, you do not need it that deep. But I would have it at least 18 inches.
bog.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank-you! That's where I was thinking too. Should I stack large rocks under the bog so the bog water will run down over them?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Should I stack large rocks under the bog so the bog water will run down over them?
By under do you mean at the edge between the bog and the pond?

I have a large flat rock as my waterfall back into the pond.
You will want the bog edge higher so you can have the liner come down and over the pond liner, High enough so there is a nice drop to keep from wicking water out of the pond. The liner needs to lay over the pond liner by 3-4 inches. You could have some large rocks there for the water to flow over, the rocks on top of the liner.

The bog itself should have small rocks like pea gravel, some user larger gravel. I use pea gravel.

Reaction score
Country
United States
By under do you mean at the edge between the bog and the pond?

I have a large flat rock as my waterfall back into the pond.
You will want the bog edge higher so you can have the liner come down and over the pond liner, High enough so there is a nice drop to keep from wicking water out of the pond. The liner needs to lay over the pond liner by 3-4 inches. You could have some large rocks there for the water to flow over, the rocks on top of the liner.

The bog itself should have small rocks like pea gravel, some user larger gravel. I use pea gravel.

Ask a Question