Bog help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello and good afternoon everyone, im thinking of incorporating a bog on to my existing setup, the first thing is will a bog be ok to run alongside a mechanical filter (nexus 220) my pond is 5mx3mx1m and is roughly 2800gallons (uk). i have a plastic tank 300 gallons that i would like to use, so what size pump would i need ?how many times does the water need to pass through the bog hourly ? so the pump goes to intake through 1-2 inch pipe drilled every 6 inches and capped on the ends with a raised pipe to flush through with hose pipe for cleaning. 12 inches of pea gravel returning to pond through waterfall/ pipes,how much water does there need to be above gravel ? i appreciate thats quite a few questions probably not in the right order but any advice would be greatfully recieved, thank you very much mark

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It can be made many different ways, any size of bog helps. You do not need a separate pump, you can send some of the flow from your main pump into the bog. Mine is 2.5 feet deep, others are deeper others more shallow. The amount of water over the gravel , it can be 1-2 inches or deeper, mine has some gravel below the water some above, some right at the water level. All the plants do fine.

I send a lot of water though mine, some send a lower amount of water. My hot tub pond has a small planter bog, the water just trickles through it. Both work.

I filter with only the bog. When I did mine I did not put in clean out pipes have never needed them. I don't pull the water from the bottom of the pond but from about a foot from the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm very bad with metric calculations!

If your bog is proportioned properly, you won't need any other filtration, but if the bog is on the smaller size, you will probably have to keep your other filter.

If your bog's surface area is at least 30% of your pond's surface area, you shouldn't need any other filter or UV lights.

Here are some bog building threads you can look through:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-add-on-bog-build.26848/

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, thanks for your replies lots of info to ponder over, a couple of more questions as we are now coming up to autumn is it too late in the season to start planting also should the plants be bare root or some soil in their roots. really like the idea of doing this, i think it would be well under 30%surface coverage maybe as little as 10 %. i suppose every little helps, so weather permitting i think i will give this a go.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put mine in bare root. Planted in early fall, they came back great the next spring.

Ask a Question