BOG IDEAS & INSIGHT NEEDED (PICTURES, TOO....)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, I think I've made a decision. My SKIPPY filter is just OK, but I need good mechanical filtration. Looking at alternatives and all I can come up with are expensive add-ons, DIY's that I'm not prepared to undertake, or complete filter replacement systems. Then there's the bog, which I have no room for. So........ The winner is ........

Have decided that I will build a bog, using the same footprint I would use when we eventually move the SKIPPY and build the waterfall. There is plenty of room there for a several hundred gallon something, so might as well let it be a bog. The money I would have spent "adding on" can go toward the bog.

It will have to be somewhat above ground, so we'll have to do some excavating for footings & support walls, but since it will be from scratch, the plumbing should go smoothly. I'll be referencing posts on GPF for advice on plumbing.

Would really appreciate y'all's input and insight on ways to construct and "design" a bog that will waterfall feed back into the pond. I tried going back and looking at member pictures, but was spending too much time searching. If you already have some pics, if you could "link" to those [save having to re-post].

Now all I have to do is tell Hubby about my change of plans. I KNEW there was some [subconscious] reason that I have delayed so long getting the SKIPPY moved and waterfall done.

I know, I know --- it's what you've been telling me all along.........

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oooh, our backyard is such a mess -- that might alert the "yard police!"
;) :D

I'll see what I can do..... (imitating an Eeyore voice)

Reaction score
ooohhhh suck it up and post the dang pictures LMAO. It is hard for anyone to give EFFECTIVE ideas without seeing the surrounding area;-)

Reaction score
PS.. seeing your messy yard may take folks minds off of their own yards! (or at least make some of us not feel so alone LOL)

Reaction score
Pictures please! Hey, I posted pictures of my horribly messy FRONT ENTRY!

Oh, and take a look at Tmann's bog build. It starts with post #104 on page 7. OK, I'm really impressed with everything he did, but I'm thinking his bog build is something like you are describing you want.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is the bog I built this last May. I only dug about 6" deep, built the walls up about 12" to give me a max depth of about 18" in the middle.

Here is a link to the one I built with other photos. Any questions ask away.
http://www.gardenpon...post__p__121621

Attachments

• P1040042.JPG
    P1040042.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 340
  • P1040038.JPG
    P1040038.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 358
  • P1030900.JPG
    P1030900.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 294
Reaction score
Two suggestions.

Keep it simple. That's harder to do than it sounds, but it's worth the effort. You're going to get dozens of ideas, most will sound logical but have little basis in fact.

Consider the human intestine as a model. Pretty small space but about 28' long. Flushing stuff thru too fast = bad. Bog can be the same basic design.

Reaction score
I agree WB... not always easy... so many thoughts and ideas can make a small project, not only a big one, but a potential disaster (compared to the original goal)... When it comes to ponds/bogs, sometimes too much info isnt a good thing... that is why I asked for pics:)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, I'll give a little heads up on something with my bog I DO NOT RECOMMEND. Don't set the input in the middle of the grid of pipe and set up two drain vales like I did. One input at one end and one drain line the other works far better. I personally would make that change in mine if I did it over again. I don't get enough flush to clean out the way I have mine set up. I found the only way to get a really good flush out is to insert a water hose in one drain line and open the other while still pumping. Minor PITA but works for now. Just a heads up while your still in the design stage.

Reaction score
Larkin, can you tell me what the drain actually does? Hubby only has part of a grid done, and I know there is a lot more to his plan, but the "bog" got put on a back burner for a bit, and using it as a temp fish pond.... the part that I understand is the water is being removed from the main pond, into a Filter Falls 5000, discharges into the "bog", and returns to the pond via water fall.... The Filter Falls give you a choice to either have it return the water to a pond via water fall, but also has fittings that you can attached up to 4 hoses to. I took a picture yesterday of the ice around the pond, so grabbed a pic of the filter too, so will attach it... So far, he only has 2 lines attached since the grid isnt even half done... Water is obviously going to take the path of least resistence, so I know the out put is higher from the 2 outlets that are acting as a water fall at the moment, but I know eventually, those two will also be hooked to the grid that still has to go in... I know there is at least reasonable flow coming out of the grid in place, as I can see the bubbles coming up out of the gravel,,, Where/How does the grid go to the drain? What is its purpose? I'm guessing so if there is ever crap in there, you can get it out, but it is just a guess... I am NOT a plumber by any stretch of the imagination;-)

Attachments

• DSCN5796.JPG
    DSCN5796.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 287

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, all! Unfortunately, it's raining [with occas. sleety stuff!!], so can't get pics today. Darn, and I was all hyped up, too :(

tmann -- awesome photos: just about what I had in mind -- will be asking questions as this idea unfolds.

WB -- you are so right, and I have learned the "keep it simple" rule in many situations. We do tend to get caught up in the adventure, then realize you have to step back and take a look from a new perspective: ie, go back to the beginning and revisit your original purpose. It's kinda like having your first baby: EVERYONE [and every resource] has "the best advice," some good, some contradictory, some outlandish..... Then after weighing all the possibilities, choose to follow what will work best for YOU! And be open to change, trial & error, experimentation, failure..... [fortunately, we only have 1 child :)]

Larkin -- I was reading some old posts last night and recall you commented on that.

Education, research, trial & error, and a bit of creativity -- one major hole in my knowledge-base is the "physics" of how things work the way they do / or don't work. And the second problem I have has to do with creativity [that's why I like to look at YOUR pics, so I can "see" things -- I'm VERY visually oriented, really, and I have to SEE something to know how it all works & fits together -- literally & figuratively].

So sometimes I can read your posts, but not really grasp the what & why of what's going on. But don't worry, as I'm not afraid to ask questions :) Hey, I've gotten used to WB, now, haven't I?? ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was able to get some pics yesterday, but will have to transfer them to the main computer before I can post. To me, the pics don't show a lot, but I know the potential is there, so maybe you guys can "see" through my eyes.

As far as physical space, there is about 12 feet x 4 to 6 feet that I can work with without crowding the surrounding area, and a portion of that can sort of wrap around where the waterfall would be. So guess it can be a long, kidney shape. Didn't I read somewhere that long and narrow is more effective as a filter?

tmann -- Did you dig footings for your wall? Was there already a berm, or did you add that? Did you dig down into the surrounding earth at all for the construction, or was the divot made out of added dirt?

Wondering how much/what kind of support I would need for the walls.... I need a step-by-step instruction manual!

LOL, just finally mentioned my "bog" idea to Hubby. He liked it and got all excited and started coming up with ideas of his own. One was to pile up some more dirt and stick a kiddie pool on top. Hmmm, can see we'll be doing some cooperative planning. :)

Ask a Question