bog ideas

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
well i have never heard of a bog garden till i came here. it sounds interesting so i am going to try one. can i have a bog with a clay bottom like my pond or should i use a liner? what are good plants for a shady location i live in zone 7a usa. what is the best shape for a bog? very important if maintenance has to occur. my fish load will be low to mid. my idea is to shape out a bowl in the ground beside my pond
IMG_20201017_111846.jpg
put the rocks in the bottom like yall have in your bogs and hope it looks as good.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
UMMMMM like your alligator!

The main thing you need, IMHO, some way to get water to flow up and through the media, pea gravel, some do rocks, some do aqua blocks, plant the top of the bog and let it flow back into the pond. That gives you your good filtration factor.
Some do a barrier bog, just a wall between the bog and pond that water can seep through back into the pond and flow over. Or make a solid wall where the water flows up and over the wall back into the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know that I've ever heard of a constructed wetland filter without a liner, but it seems feasible. One concern might be clogging from the clay - I don't know how much constant, although regulated, water flow would stir up debris in a clay bottom. And if you are stirring it up, then it would be constantly stirred up in the pond as well. Containing plant growth to the bog could be challenging if there's no real barrier between bog and surrounding land - although bog plants can creep out under any circumstance honestly. But would they invade your side walls and create issues? Or would that not even matter?

Lots to think about!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know that I've ever heard of a constructed wetland filter without a liner,
sure you can. like was mentioned though the clay if it is easily turbid with a little movement and you want clear water then you will need to do something.
one idea would be if your pond is doing well and does not drain would be to drain it and install fabric across the whole pond i would do a foot overlap if the pond is to wide and one the whole pond is covered with fabric you could place stone on the fabric as a protection layer to keep fish Alligators etc for disturbing the clay and mucking up the water in the mean time you get a rocked in pond which looks awesome imo and it gives bacteria tons of surface area to grow on. big rocks little rocks is pretty much your taste i like bigger myself . and off to one side you can make an intake bay line this area with some rubber just to insure the clay doesn't come up from the constant movement of water it wouldn't need to be water proof thats not the idea it's just to insure no movement gets to the clay. put in a pump vault and then pump your water to the bog. now if you got the cash you could line it with rubber even if you got a puncture looks like you'd still hold water but that's extreme.
I would go on you tube and do search after search for water gardens aquascapes atlantis theres a bunch of great builders out there. and get some ideas about what can be done and how. you'll want to see the pond from the house if possible and make your stream and bog face the house there's nothing like a stream and water fall in view of your back patio it is definitely the Ferrari and the swim pool is just a Cadillac in the video the pond is a natural lake and they build a bog and stream to clean the water and improve the quality of the lake " NO SMALL TASK " THIS IS over sized compaired to your pond but it gives ideas

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
thanks for the replys, i did not think about the muddy water deal. i will pick up a liner for this. i am avoiding man made materials in this pond if possible. thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The fabric i am talking about it needle punch polyethylene it is what is used in drinking containers of all sizes.

if you try to really avoid man made stuff like that depending how deep your pond is you could just cover the clay in sand if the sides area a very gradual slope . but you want to use what is referred to as course sand . fine sand will do as clay and cloud the water every time it is disturbed like at the beach

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pup looks like it enjoys the pond a lot!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love my hair covered cocker spaniels but man they get dirty and STAY dirty.. give me the fur of the golden any day ........self cleaning

Ask a Question