Bog in the basement

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
Over the winter, I've been working on a cool little whiskey barrel container pond with a rectangular bog filter that I built out of reclaimed wood and pond liner. I have it set up and running in my basement and am wondering if I can put plants in the bog since I have it under some LED lights. Once it's above freezing out, I will move the container and bog to our deck. Would led lights suffice for plants in the meantime?
Thank you

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good question, and I don’t know the answer. It might work temporarily, but plants need a specific spectrum of light. I think there are LED lights that fit this category.

Where do you live?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would try a few plants and see how they do. Guessing you have no fish in your little barrel pond so the plants would need some fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have six small comets in there currently. I plan on adding some rosy reds or mosquito fish too.
I do this, keeping some of the more fragile tropical pond plants going until spring. You need very good light for all but the water lettuce, which doesn't mind part shade. It's a struggle to keep water hyacinth but I manage one or two. I think they like the water warmer as well but mine is approx 65 deg F in the basement. Overall, I've kept some alive while others have slowly decayed. My trop blue water lily does pretty good with a heater in its aquarium (I'm not heating the bog), the pennywort survives as well as parrot's feather, though that one tends to get white fly and is miserable until spring. I keep taro going in my main 'winter fish/turtle pond' in the basement, though the leaves are smaller and less dark. Still, there's something for spring when it's time! Currently, I have a huge amount of duckweed which I've been thinning out as the winter has gone on. I also keep mini Egyptian papyrus going this way. YMMV

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I do this, keeping some of the more fragile tropical pond plants going until spring. You need very good light for all but the water lettuce, which doesn't mind part shade. It's a struggle to keep water hyacinth but I manage one or two. I think they like the water warmer as well but mine is approx 65 deg F in the basement. Overall, I've kept some alive while others have slowly decayed. My trop blue water lily does pretty good with a heater in its aquarium (I'm not heating the bog), the pennywort survives as well as parrot's feather, though that one tends to get white fly and is miserable until spring. I keep taro going in my main 'winter fish/turtle pond' in the basement, though the leaves are smaller and less dark. Still, there's something for spring when it's time! Currently, I have a huge amount of duckweed which I've been thinning out as the winter has gone on. I also keep mini Egyptian papyrus going this way. YMMV
I give you credit for keeping so much of that alive during the winter months.

I've tried a few times to over-winter some of that tropical stuff to no avail. I've used 4 foot flourescent grow lights over an aquarium. It does ok for most of the winter, but dies off towards the end. I think our winters are just too long here in Pennsylvania.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I give you credit for keeping so much of that alive during the winter months.

I've tried a few times to over-winter some of that tropical stuff to no avail. I've used 4 foot flourescent grow lights over an aquarium. It does ok for most of the winter, but dies off towards the end. I think our winters are just too long here in Pennsylvania.
at first, I had bad luck and had to re-purchase them. I really think having the lights very close and keeping more inside my 'winter-turtle' pool/pond helps as they get more natural fertilization this way.

I left some pennywort and parrot's feather under my tent this year, just to see how hardy it is. If it comes back (and my cameras show they're still alive) I won't have to bother with those two next year. Might even try the others, or at least pieces, just as a test. Be nice not to have to have all the lights and such but I'm usually glad come spring when I can relocate them back to the pond.

I'm still working hard on trying to keep the hyacinth robust instead of withering out (as you alluded). The batch in the heated aquarium are doing a lot better. The ones with the turtles seem to have withered out, so once again, their 'pickiness' is showing.

Ask a Question