Bog is working!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I finally finished the bog garden a few weeks ago and it is already clearing the pond!!!!! I can see the fish on the bottom now. My question is , my bog has green string algae in it is this normal?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes. Algae in the bog is normal. The bog is trapping a lot of nutrients, and the algae feeds on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Once the plants in your bog start to take hold and the bog itself has been running for a while, the algae should go away. Mine did.

I had some areas where the water was slightly above the gravel. I threw some water lettuce in there. It has multiplied and is doing great, plus the fish can't eat them!
20200710_120853.jpg

Can you post some pictures of your bog? I'd like to see it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I finally finished the bog garden a few weeks ago and it is already clearing the pond!!!!! I can see the fish on the bottom now. My question is , my bog has green string algae in it is this normal?
String algae can b a battle for some time yo may have it all year this year cut way back on feedings and when you scoop out the hair algae just remember this the greenish water you see when you pull it out from the pond is mostly the seeds sorta speak of the plant so when you disturb it try and do so gently and quickly. it could be next year until the hair algae could disappear

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
So great to hear your bog is up and running ! This is our first season with ours and we've had string algae too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I DID FIND Nualgi helped me with the hair but its not cheap

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So great to hear your bog is up and running ! This is our first season with ours and we've had string algae too.
Let it get growing and no more algae. I have not had a string algae attack in 9 years now or green water. I do get some in the three small warm ponds that get dirty water from the big pond. But once the lotus , lilies and parrots feather grows the algae looses its life. This year I did not see any in those ponds.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Once the plants get going as was said the various forms of nuisance algae will disappear. Like addy between the bog and all the other plants in my pond I’ve never had to deal with string algae or green water in the 10 years since it was built.

Ask a Question