Bog Manifold size

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am building a bog filter for my pond, and the bog is roughly 50 sq ft. in a boomerang shape. The pump is pumping 2900 gph from 35 ft. away. I am planning on using 1 1/2 in. pipe from the pump to the bog. Should I use 1 1/2 in. pipe for the manifold or should the manifold pipes be larger? Thanks!
Martha

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used 2 inch pipe, but all my pipe is 2 inch.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I used 2” pipe in the manifold and 1-1/2” from the pump to the bog. It’s just what worked with the tubing I had. I definitely wouldn’t go smaller than 2” in the manifold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks guys. Why wouldn't you go smaller than 2", TurtleMom?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My pump has an 1-1/2" outlet. I ran 1-1/2" flex PVC up to the bog and when I switched to ridgid pipe, I increased it to 2". All the pipe in my bog is 2". I figured bigger pipe is less likely to clog. PVC pipe is cheap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
20200425_162307.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Good point about the clogging. I have been debating adding the vertical access point like you have but it seems like most people who posted on the internet don't include them. How useful do you expect them to be? I'm going to have one line with a 45 degree angle in it to run the length of the bog with lines coming off it. Does any one know close are they supposed to be spaced? I saw someone said a foot but I wonder if that is overkill. Also, how far apart should the grooves cut into the pipe be? I've seen people recommend from one to six inches.
bog manifold.png

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Think about how much pressure will differentiate between the front part of the manifold and those branch lines to the rear part of the manifold and their branch lines. IMO it’s better not to have branch lines but something more like @poconojoe ’s , a fork with Y’s if needed. I’ve seen lots of how to’s for bogs with branch lines and complex manifolds but don’t feel they are engineeringly sound.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been debating adding the vertical access point like you have but it seems like most people who posted on the internet don't include them
Whats the old saying better to have one and not need it. then it is to need one and not have it

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the same layout as Poconojoe. I have the cleanouts capped off and open them in the spring. Usually just a little muddy water for a second. I have my slits cut about 1 1/2" apart and have them facing down to prevent clogging.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have the same layout as Poconojoe. I have the cleanouts capped off and open them in the spring. Usually just a little muddy water for a second. I have my slits cut about 1 1/2" apart and have them facing down to prevent clogging.
Mine is two long runs, 26 feet with cuts a bit further apart near the pump input to closer apart as I got to the far end of the pump.
I did not do clean out pipes meant to but forgot, well the bog is still running fine 10 years later.

1592738093092.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Think about how much pressure will differentiate between the front part of the manifold and those branch lines to the rear part of the manifold and their branch lines. IMO it’s better not to have branch lines but something more like @poconojoe ’s , a fork with Y’s if needed. I’ve seen lots of how to’s for bogs with branch lines and complex manifolds but don’t feel they are engineeringly sound.
I can't make the ground flat because of a boulder. I tried and tried to dig it out but it is just too big. I'm sitting on a glacial moraine. The ground is really hard and full of rocks. Most of the boulder is underground but enough surfaces to make the ground uneven. With the design I drew, I can get around the boulder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for that! Are the rest of you facing the slits/holes up or down? How close are the pipes?

Ask a Question