Bog Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious as to if I should worry about my bog pipes freezing and cracking over the winter. Or is this not a concern since the slits in the pipes allow room for the ice to expand? Also the entire bog is an ice block so I'm thinking the pipes wouldn't have room to expand and crack. I ask this since my ball valve which is up and out of the bog cracked in half from ice expansion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just curious as to if I should worry about my bog pipes freezing and cracking over the winter. Or is this not a concern since the slits in the pipes allow room for the ice to expand? Also the entire bog is an ice block so I'm thinking the pipes wouldn't have room to expand and crack. I ask this since my ball valve which is up and out of the bog cracked in half from ice expansion.
depends on if they freeze or not; water won't freeze below your frost line (I know, I know; you're in frigid Wisconsin!) so if your bog is deeper than that (or, your bog is running all the time), you'll be fine. Now, even with slits, if your water freezes, you may well get cracking. Hard to say how much this would effect your bog, though, since you 'cracked' the pipe anyway with slits. I'd imagine, over time, that any cracked pvc manifolds would still to their job for a long time before you noticed water coming up a lot more on one side over the other and even then, water will still find it's way to the whole bog eventually.

I'd say any pipes with water that freezes, are suspect. That's why many use flex pvc; it's 'flexible', don'tcha know and can take such freezing outward pressure. I know on my sprinkler system (diy), I had some cracking one year because I didn't turn it off before an early freeze got to it, but there was pressure behind the pipe whereas with a bog, there shouldn't be the same kind and none at all if you turn your bog off for winter. For my bog, as noted, I used flex pvc going down to the bottom of my 3' depth bog ( not quite below my frost line here in MI) and then into larger, 4" corrugated drain tile/pipe, so no solid pvc for me to worry about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you drain your bog all out so there is no water in the lines it will not freeze. I would think your bog is going to freeze anyway it looks like it is above ground or at least most of it is. You being in Wisconsin you get some crazy low temps. I am in Toledo on the Michigan border I Have 4 55 gallon barrels all connected to each other the return to the pond I had to replace all the pvc last spring because i tried to turn the valves to early and still being super cold at night and broke every one of them. I don't let my pond run all winter I am afraid of ice from the return cracking or breaking and start pumping my pond dry from a fracture in the ice or ice tube back to the pond breaking and spilling water all over the top of the pond and freezing and me not noticing it. your return will get brittle in the cold but if you dont mess with it till it warms up in spring it should be fine

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Draining a bog is not an option. The plants will dry out and die. As long as the pipes are not capped off, they should be fine.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I leave my bog full, my pipes with whatever water they had in them, but open. I pull the pump take apart the pipes and just let them sit. They never break the water just expands up the pipe without breaking them.. With this cold we have had, I went and checked so far the pipes are all intact.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How deep is your bog?

We keep ours running all winter so I've never worried about the pipes freezing, but I do think you're right about the slits in the PVC allowing water to escape. Or at least I hope you're right, for your sake! ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
my bog is above my pond and is frozen solid. I loosened the end caps before freeze. We'll see if everything is intact come Spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that is what I do in the winter drain the lines and open any valves so the water that is left in the pipes has room to expand to night we will be 2 degrees F and that is warm for us at this time of the year Feb will be worse :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
that is what I do in the winter drain the lines and open any valves so the water that is left in the pipes has room to expand to night we will be 2 degrees F and that is warm for us at this time of the year Feb will be worse :(

so, what I'm hearing is; there's something ROTT-en in Ohio? Didn't hafta tell me! (says a wolverine to a buckeye! Got braggin' rights THIS year, gonna have to make the most of it---been a loooooooooooonnnnnggggg dry spell, don'tcha know!) :p:eek::rolleyes::cool:;)

Ask a Question