Bog piping

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am so confused about piping my 3x4 waterfall bog filter. I've read so many different ways to do it! Some say to cap the ends of the pipe (the one with the 1/4 in. holes if I do that why does it say to use 2 _ 45# elbows? And how and where would I attach the cleanout pipe?

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_092326.jpg
    IMG_20200516_092326.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 175
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is what I'm dealing with , it will be a miracle if the bog waterfall filter will clean this. I already have a tub filter with plants and a small barley bale.

Attachments

• IMG_20200521_103021.jpg
    IMG_20200521_103021.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 185
Reaction score
Country
United States
Is your bog 3 foot x 4 foot? Here are some pictures of my bog piping. Clean outs are the caps sticking up use the elbow to run it up from the piping underneath the gravel. Mine is 4 foot x 8 foot.

Attachments

• bog10.jpg
    bog10.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 585
  • bog19.jpg
    bog19.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 481
Reaction score
Country
United States
How many gallons is your pond? And what size pump are you going to run into your bog? I would do dual runs of pipe like the picture shows in mine. The more plants and water flow through the bog the better.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you haven’t already read @addy1 bog build,
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/bog-building.6894 ,
it’s what brought me here. I still had a lot of questions and bought and returned so many pipe fittings. From the picture the area doesn’t seem quite deep enough but it is hard to tell. Also, from the picture it appears that keeping it simple with a single pipe would be the way to go. (You’ll need fittings, joined pipes, etc but I mean you don’t need a complex manifold under the gravel)
I eventually had to buy cheap PVC liner to overlay the rubber EPDM liner to place in the bog. I used a combination of cinder blocks and bricks to separate the bog from the rest of the pond and it was the only way I could keep the water from seeping out from the bog to be able to achieve a waterfall and the cheap PVC is just used as a barrier or tub inside the good rubber liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'll look for later pictures. That picture is to show you how we laid the pvc on the bottom of the bog. After we measured etc., hubby made gobs of small slits in the dual pvc lines.

Those lines were eventually attached to a pump in the pond, which draws pond water to the dual lines. The water then percolates thru all the slits, rising through the gravel and spills back into the pond via a small water way.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok thanks. I was wondering about the curved outflow pipe in the picture with the water running out?

Ask a Question