Bog Plant Containers Too Visible

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have some confusion about bog plants. First of all, when the plant instructions specify a certain depth, i.e. 4", does that mean roots can be in 4" of water and the crown is at or above the surface of the water? If so, what do you do to disguise a container that sticks out above the water surface?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All of my bog plants are bare rooted into the pea gravel which is my bog / gravel / plant filter.

Are you putting the bog type plants in the pond in containers? Or are they marginals? If marginals they are talking about the surface of the planting medium being xx inches below the water surface.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
They are in containers, on the top shelf in my pond. The dwarf cattails, for example, says 4" of water. But my pot is 7". Maybe I just need shorter pots. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are in containers, on the top shelf in my pond. The dwarf cattails, for example, says 4" of water. But my pot is 7". Maybe I just need shorter pots. :)
I have taken the black pots that plants come in from the stores, cut them down to fit the water level where I want the plants.
They are saying four inches over the dirt level. Not a total of four inches of water.

from the net
  • Hardy zones 3 - 11 [See Map]
  • Growing height: 12-18".
  • Planting depth: Top of the pot should be 0-3" below the water surface.
  • Thrives in full sun to partial shade.
  • Small brown catkins appearing in summer are surrounded by narrow, grassy, reed-like leaves.
  • Recommended Pot Size:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - the depth is referring to how far beneath the surface they prefer to grow. But I experiment a lot with my plants and find out what they will really do. It's harder to do when you're first starting out and buying all your plants, but as they start to grow and you are dividing things left and right, you'll have extras to mess around with.

Also, none of my marginals are in pots anymore - they're all growing right in the pond on the shelves and in nooks and crannies between rocks. I quickly got tired of repotting things as they out grew their pots! I also much prefer the more natural look of plants without pots.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
One of the other posters showed a nice picture of cattails and how they look the deeper they go into pond water.

Apparently this applies for all marginal plants even ones that tolerate crowns below water, the deeper the crown is below water, the shorter the plant will grow to be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
You are all so helpful. Thank you for not making me feel more stupid than I already do. ☺️

Lisak1 do you plant them without any dirt? I think I'd like the "no pot" idea.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You are all so helpful. Thank you for not making me feel more stupid than I already do. ☺️

Lisak1 do you plant them without any dirt? I think I'd like the "no pot" idea.
LOL! Absolutely no need to feel stupid! We all have to start somewhere. I joined in 2011 and built my pond in 2012. When I go back and read some of my older posts......OMG, talk about embarrassing!:oops::eek:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
do you plant them without any dirt? I think I'd like the "no pot" idea.
I have some that are free and things I want to control I put in pots, planted in plain kitty litter. With the right size you don't even see them.

Ask a Question