Bog plant ID -- help needed

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have been collecting plants for my future-bog. Some have been residing in the turtle-bog, and some in various kiddie pools. I tried to keep the ID tags with each plant, but apparently that didn't work as well as I'd hoped -- the only plant that still has a tag is a plant that didn't survive -- go figure.... I think the tags that I stuck in with the turtle-bog plants just got walked on too much and who knows where they ended up! Only the turtles know for sure, and they're not talking, LOL.

I'd appreciate any help with an ID for any or all of these...... And some of them might be weeds that transplanted themselves for all I know.

This one is about 18" or so tall. Haven't seen any type of blooms.
image.jpg

This guys acts like a vine, growing along the ground, a foot or 2 long. Have not seen blooms.
image.jpg

The only one like it and I just happened to spot it among the [I think] Forget-me-nots and Bloody Dock.
image.jpg

Have a couple of these -- kinda raggedy. About 18" tall.
image.jpg

I think this is Water Willow [?], but it hasn't grown much and acts like it doesn't like the conditions....
image.jpg

I think this one made flowers [light blue] a month or a few weeks ago -- I have circled either pods or future blooms.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
TM,

#2 looks like Bindweed. If it is, dig it out and get out every last scrap of root. It grows rapidly and twists itself around other plants, eventually smothering them. I've been fighting it in my garden for years. Dig the roots out, and if you leave a short section of root, it will grow again. The roots spread out and new plants appear at intervals. https://extension.umass.edu/vegetable/weeds/bindweed-field

Chris

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
TM,

#2 looks like Bindweed. If it is, dig it out and get out every last scrap of root. It grows rapidly and twists itself around other plants, eventually smothering them. I've been fighting it in my garden for years. Dig the roots out, and if you leave a short section of root, it will grow again. The roots spread out and new plants appear at intervals. https://extension.umass.edu/vegetable/weeds/bindweed-field

Chris
Could it be Bog Bean? I know I planted that at some point, but never saw it do anything. I'll read about bindweed, though. Thanks!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
#1 looks like marsh mallow ( hibiscus),#2- lizards tail, #4-thalia.
Oh, do you think #1 could be hibiscus? Maybe..... I mentioned that there was one plant with a tag, but the plant died....... This plant IS very close to that tag, but I didn't think the plant went with it -- it's some red hibiscus [but it's pouring down rain at the moment so can't go out and look at it].

How big do Lizard's tail plant leaves grow? This is a pretty big leaf.

Thalia..... More research, and wishing I'd kept all of my sales invoices as most of these plants were purchased and planted last year.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a hibiscus: "red water hibiscus" was on the tag. And I found another one in another part of the turtle-bog, which is about right as I try to buy 2 of everything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Could it be Bog Bean? I know I planted that at some point, but never saw it do anything. I'll read about bindweed, though. Thanks!
The bog bean I have I got from Haro, and it seems to grow low and on runners. The stalks are (on mine at least) about 6 to 12 inches tall with three oval leaves on each. That produces small white feathery flowers some time in June.
bogbean.jpg
Bogbean2.jpg

Reaction score
I have the weed in the first pic and it is coming up everywhere. I pulled them out...not that it is....but because it looks like the marijuana plant and some neighbor might assume it is Mary. The last one maybe common flax if it has light blue flowers. I love blue flowering plants and you are lucky to have it. The others are a challenge I will have to bring your pics up later with my wiildflower ID book. The lobelia family of flowers includes a smaller plant with leaves similar to the last picture. It make tiny light blue bell shaped flowers. It is called Indian Tobaccoa and if my Id book isn't wrong in stating that native Americans did smoke it. Dont smoke anything it would be like eating wild mushrooms D A N G E R O U S! I'll post of picture of my Indian Tobacco and the Giant Blue Lobelia and Red Cardinal flower....it is very delicate looking.

Reaction score
#4 is Thalia/ water canna. -I have red stemmed Thalia, will get up to 8'
#5 I believe is water forget me not- leaves look a bit long but it's hard to judge in a pic
#2 is lizards tail leaves are not too long, is possibly red stemmed, mine some got 8" It's not green stemmed

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have the weed in the first pic and it is coming up everywhere. I pulled them out...not that it is....but because it looks like the marijuana plant and some neighbor might assume it is Mary.

LOL! I did think about that when I posted the picture, and wondered if anyone would comment!

#6. Marsh betony possibly?

Will have to look that one up, but I don't think I planted any -- not that it couldn't have come in on another plant.
#4 is Thalia/ water canna. -I have red stemmed Thalia, will get up to 8'
#5 I believe is water forget me not- leaves look a bit long but it's hard to judge in a pic
#2 is lizards tail leaves are not too long, is possibly red stemmed, mine some got 8" It's not green stemmed

#5 is what I believe to be Water Willow. I referenced the FMN's in pic #3 [there is another plant nestled in there with them].
====================================

So it's looking like
#1 is a red water hibiscus,
#2 is possibly Lizard's tail,
#3 unidentified,
#4 is thalia,
#5 unidentified, but possibly Water Willow, and
#6 is unidentified, but possibly Marsh Betony......

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think the mystery of plant #3 has been solved -- it is a very young Cardinal flower, though looks nothing like the grown plant.....

image.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think the mystery of plant #3 has been solved -- it is a very young Cardinal flower, though looks nothing like the grown plant.....

View attachment 74614

If that's what it turns out to be, that would be awesome. I've always wanted Cardinal Flower, and if it can grow in a bog, I'm definitely going to be getting some.

Ask a Question