bog plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Heu everyone! So my dad's friend gave him this plant and then he just plopped it into the water and told me to make the water clear and add fish!
Im not sure what to do with it and what kind of plant it is. At the plants roots, theres dirt. So im guessing I need to pot it???

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1445631457902.jpg
    1445631457902.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 267
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Gosh, that looks like cut grass to me, which grows well along ditches in this area. Where do you live, LockChan? There are lots of pretty bog plants that grow in pea gravel, shallow water in pots, etc. Not sure I'd put that in my pond unless I knew for sure what it was. Don't want something that will be super aggressive. But, maybe it's some lovely iris although it doesn't appear to be iris to me. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gosh, that looks like cut grass to me, which grows well along ditches in this area. Where do you live, LockChan? There are lots of pretty bog plants that grow in pea gravel, shallow water in pots, etc. Not sure I'd put that in my pond unless I knew for sure what it was. Don't want something that will be super aggressive. But, maybe it's some lovely iris although it doesn't appear to be iris to me. :)

Right? I thought the same too but I was told it's suppose to have some kind of flower. The grass itself has a funny texture; its not soft but stiff? Other than that, not sure how to deal with it.
I live in SoCal, near Los angeles area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, well I can't help you if you are in CA. I'm in IL, and not at all familiar with plants in CA. Hopefully someone else from your sunny state will chime in here and help you out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@LockChan I work in a greenhouse and nursery and from the looks of it that could be fountain grass or another decorative grass like Calamagrostis Karl Foerster which is the most popular type of decorative grass. However with it cut back it is hard to tell. Also it does not flower. My tips for planting this in a pond is on a border or shallow area, the plant can be planted almost anyway you want as long as you can get it to stay in place, and after a couple of weeks the roots should be well established.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry, Thomas, but grasses DO flower, although not in bright colours like most of our garden plants. Those showy plumes you see in late summer are the seed heads resulting from the flowers.
John
I never said grasses don't flower. Also while they do flower, most people don't refer to them as flowers. Most people call them spikes or seedheads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry, Thomas, but grasses DO flower, although not in bright colours like most of our garden plants. Those showy plumes you see in late summer are the seed heads resulting from the flowers.
John
When you ask for a flowering tree or any plant for that matter, you go to a plant that has prominent flowers. If they don't want flowers you take them to plants that are considered to be Nonflowering, even though all grasses and trees (except conifers and tree ferns) flower. Its a simple way to catorgarize plants rather than telling someone "it does technically flower, just not in the way you thing of"

Ask a Question