Bog plants -- member input...concise list.....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey, all and everyone, and @addy1 -- basically ALL members with experience growing bog-specific plants! I know that there have been many lists [Addy's probably getting tired of re-posting, LOL] and recommendations regarding bog plants. And I find myself doing endless internet searches, but I don't catalog what I look up -- which makes my method about worthless [for me, anyway]. Also, depending on what internet sites I end up at, sometimes the information isn't complete enough to really tell me what I want to know about a specific plant.

Here's my idea is [and maybe this can become a "sticky"] if it works out: we start a thread with plant lists -- nothing more -- no discussions -- though maybe having links would be OK. We could request that only certain information be included in posts, so that the thread/lists could be informational yet concise -- my desire is for this to be a reference, but where you wouldn't have to wade through endless posts trying to find a plant. "Search" for bog plants, and this thread would be there.

Information I, personally would like to see:
  • plants [or plant families] that are heavy feeders -- the best for bogs! [versus ones that just "look pretty" but don't contribute a lot as far as filtration]
  • USDA zone
  • scientific name if known, but certainly have "common" names
  • height & spread
  • depth to plant them -- crowns under water, roots-only under water....
  • what light do they tolerate -- sunlight, shade, part-shade, etc.
  • what kind of "habit" does it have -- dense, mounding, tall, etc. -- for example: best as a foreground plant, background plant, mid-ground plant
  • how fast/slow do they grow
  • invasive or not, and if so, how easy/difficult are they to contain
  • hardy or "tropical" in nature -- do I have to dig it up / replant it every season
  • does it flower or have foliage of interest
  • deciduous or evergreen

==========================================================

What do you guys think? Please don't start listing anything -- I just wanted to throw this idea out there and see if there would be enough interest in starting a "bog plant thread."

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice idea, but labor intensive, I would say a winter project. Also have a photo of the plant, if possible.

Ask a Question