Bog Plants Turning Yellow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What is going on with my bog? All my Iris's came up yellow. I pulled them out thinking something was wrong with them. I bought a Corkscrew, now it's turning yellow. The plants in the pond are doing great. Nice and green. When we cleaned the pond in the Spring, I opened the drain on the bog while the pump was still running so it would wash it out real good. The water ran clear. Any ideas ??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not enough nutrients in your bog from the pond ,Your pond plants may be getting all the good stuff

Reaction score
What is going on with my bog? All my Iris's came up yellow. I pulled them out thinking something was wrong with them. I bought a Corkscrew, now it's turning yellow. The plants in the pond are doing great. Nice and green. When we cleaned the pond in the Spring, I opened the drain on the bog while the pump was still running so it would wash it out real good. The water ran clear. Any ideas ??

I have the exact problem. I think I cleaned/ backflushed my bog too good. I'm not going to clean it for a while and see what happens. My Iris bloomes and lasted only one day.

I agree with Sissy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
more plants keep the water clean but then they fight over the food to keep them going .I learned that from one of my stock tanks .I was using a small pump and filter on it and plants stared to die and the other one I had nothing but the aerator in it and plants were growing great .Live and learn ,seems all this stuff really gets confusing as you need plants to shade the pond to keep algae from growing but to many plants and they don't get enough food to live .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree Sissy, with the influx of plants I have this year, there is no debris on the bottom of the pond to even net out. The plants are eating it up. Bogs like dirty pond water, I use no other filter so they get dirty pond water, all are doing fine, nice and green. My in pond plants are doing great too.
The bog plants are doing better than last year, I did not have many fish to dirty the water.

A lot of my marginals are wet crown and feet in fact almost all of them are, a few are on pea gravel to keep the crown dry, very few. I see no difference in the same plant type if it has a wet or a dry crown, they all are growing the same rate, blooming, green.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh, so I shouldn't of back washed it? How do I dirty it up now? lol We took the shelf out in the Spring, so I think it started a little cycle. I have a little suspended algae. The lily pads are starting to reach the surface, so hopefully that will help the algae problem. The only thing growing in the bog now is a plant Addy sent me last year. Not sure what it is, it has little blue flowers on it. None of the other plants came back. I took the Corkscrew out. The roots of the Iris were not rotting. Haven't checked the PH. I'll do that tomorrow. I do have a lot smaller fish load. I re-homed 25 goldfish and I lost one Koi.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yellow plants are not a good sign! This usually indicates ammonia problems. If your Ph is very high, there is good chance that your bog is seeing ammonia spikes. I would use large concentrations of liquid peat to lower your PH.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my ph is usually around 7.6 or so. The blue flower plant is forget me not, it grows well. Mine are a lot healthier this year, they did fine last year, but with a better fish load they are really growing.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I had something like this happen once many years ago to my iris. I just left it in the bog cause the roots looked good. As quickly as the plant had died, it started to regrow. Then later that spring, when the iris was about half grown, I had these huge dragonflies nymphs emerge from the half regrown iris and they were just amazing to see. Some dragonflies take years to hatch from pond. This has never happened again in many years that I have beeen water gardening, don't know for sure if that was "what bugged it" , but if all is well with the pond, and fish are happy, and other plants are green, only your sedges seem to be effected, it could be it, cause dragonflies only lay there eggs in sedges. I moved my iris that next spring cause I was making the pond yet again bigger, and the iris is now floating with the fish. Maybe now that larger fish are eating the nymphs to keep their number down? Don't know for sure. Never had so many nymphs emerge all at once ever again.
If all is well in the pond then don't stress to much and just wait and see if it comes back! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I had about 6 or so different plants in there last year. They all did great. Only the Forget Me Nots and the Iris's came back. The Iris's came up yellow. I waited a while to see if they would turn green, but they didn't. So now, all that is in there is the Forget Me Nots. I'll just leave it for this year. I was just hoping someone had a clue as to what caused this.

But yes ... all is fine in the pond. The plants are green and Iris's are blooming !!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
have you added salt to the pond? salt can cause this, largw swings in temp. can have effects on some plants, swing in ph, or hardness, and medications can also effect them. my iris did the same thing when i first planted them, they turned yellow and then died back, now they are really starting to come back out but are very small.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Never added salt to my pond. Or medications. Temp swings, definitely. This weather is ridiculous. Cool, than warm. Hopefully it will get better.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found that loriope works great in water conditions and so does some of my hostas .I put both in my filters and so far they are doing great .I hope you find out what is going on .I also added alot of grasses to my pond and even put some in my filters and never thought of them in there until colleen said something about them and what a difference and the grasses are so cheap at the garden centers .I bring them home clean all the dirt off them and divide them up and repot in oyster shells and pea gravel and just pop them into the pond and filter and I was amazed at how well they grew and how well they clean the water .I do have to trim some of the roots off as they really get a lot of them ,but they are cleaning machines .

Ask a Question