bog plants yellow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Greetings all,

Could someone suggest what I could do for my bog plants whose foliage is very pale, quite yellowish. The pond is 9'x5'x2' with seven or eight goldfish, about half of whom are about 5-6", the rest 3". The water circulates from pond through bog and back into the stream. Plants in the pond seem fine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They need a bit of iron. I got iron fertilizer (what's that stuff called? Brain is on vacay!) and made little packets with paper towel and shoved them right into the gravel near the roots. Worked like a charm!

Is your pond newish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Meant to add - you can also put steel wool pads into the gravel. That works but is a bit slower than the iron fertilizer (Bon-ide? WHAT IS THAT STUFF CALLED! Haha!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Meant to add - you can also put steel wool pads into the gravel. That works but is a bit slower than the iron fertilizer (Bon-ide? WHAT IS THAT STUFF CALLED! Haha!)
I'm not familiar with that fertilizer. I was concerned about fertilizers that aren't specifically for ponds because of concern for safety of the fish. Steel wool sounds good, I'll try that. Thank you for taking the time to respond, Lisak! Oh, and my pond was started 16 months ago, but the problem is new. Cheers!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Huckleberry12 Also, be sure the flow through your bog isn't too fast. A slower flow allows the roots to have more contact with water and the nutrients in the water. Could be why the pond plants are OK.

Ask a Question