Bog plants

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
What will be the best bog plants with roots that is not aggressive but effective. I am living in Riebeek Kasteel South Africa and it get really hot here in summer and not so cold in winter.

Previously I had Elephant Ears in my bog but the roots became a problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There are plants that are more surface growers - like pennywort, forget-me-nots, bog bean, etc that won't grow deep roots. Avoid things like rushes, reeds, cattails and irises if you don't want to worry about deep rooters. But remember it's those roots that go deep int he gravel that add filtration to your bog.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Water willow is a short plant with pretty purple flowers. It grows by tubers and shallow matted roots. Great at filtering, easy to yank

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i would start here https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/some-very-impressive-pond-builds.26353/ scan down to the videos that say BRAZIL i imagine there weather and plant possibilities are similar to yours. i have seen where banana plants are crazy at absorbing lots and lots of water and if they do that really well then i'd imagine they are great for a bog as thats what you want a fast grower that is easy to control.

some pics of your pond would help as well

Ask a Question