Bog plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thoughts on my bog filter plumbing? 2” pipe with slits every 1.5” facing down. Set down about 0.5” with saw blade.
IMG_7379.jpeg
The pump feed will be 1.5” pipe which will be second fitting from top not piped in yet. Clean out also not yet installed but will be in bottom left next to pipe cleanout port.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The issue with a cut every 1 1/2" is that you are probably using a thin kerf saw blade those are 3/16 at best and can clog easily I suggest double cuts to each slot but you really don't need them any closer then 3" you will have 1 1/2 " between pipe cuts from each direction.

Think of it this way you have a 1 1/2" pipe feeding your manifold so add up the cuts stacking one on top of another and when it equals 11/2" that's will handle your pumps volume. so the manifold being twice the slots that equal a 3" pipe or even larger than you have achieved a good balance.

the last recommendation will be to add an extra piece of fabric or even another piece of liner beneath the manifold so if one piece of gravel gets in a pocket and can vibrate and spin around it will not cut into the liner it's self

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! I was worried about clogs so I will double cut. I did use a standard blade and it’s easier to make that change now to avoid heartache later. If I understand you correctly I will just double cut every 3” as I didn’t really need the 1.5” spacing. So if it does clog on those cuts it won’t really affect functionality. And I have extra liner on order so I’ll make sure to put a piece under the manifold

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes. every 3 inches should be plenty . This design has been made in many ways and many styles there is really no right or wrong , more this is less likely to fail and this is more likely to need more work down the road.
You want to dispense that water throughout the manifold but every 1.5" is a lot and the end of the line won't see any flow at all until the gravel starts to clog or back up over time. don't get me wrong it will still work it's just there will be more active areas to the manifold that's closer to the feed

Reaction score
Country
United States
The issue I see is that sediment may build in the pipes over time and not have an escape if the openings get clogged. I am not understanding where your cleanout will be? Ideally it would be at the far end of the water inflow in such a way that open the clean out flushes any gunk out of the system. From your pics, each pipe would need a clean out at the end or they may fill up over time. That would be 9 clean out/flush openings.

I know Addy does not have clean outs and has had no issues! So not having a clean out on each pipe may not be an issue at all.

My bog is fed through a skimmer with a filter pad that catches much large pieces. But when I open my bog clean outs I still get a lot of particles, elm seeds, pieces of plants that flow out.

Your design could be simplified by running 3 long pipes with a clean out each the long way instead of 9 shorter pipes with no clean outs.

I realize you may be committed to your design this far in. But in my experience the clean outs really help flush the lines and I do not see them in your system, I see many deadend pipes that may fill up over time.

PVC pipe is cheap and you are now an expert at cuttings and fittings etc. I might redo it with 3 long pipes with a clean out on each end before you cover it all with gravel.

It looks like you will have a wonderful bog even if you leave it as is! And if the slits are big enough perhaps no cleanouts are needed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with the post above . With the exception of pvc being cheap it use to be the prices have gotten rediculous.40 bucks for a 10 foot piece of pipe. This isn't just the trucking costs anymore the retailers are jumping in tagging their own costs boosts. Went of to tgi Fridays where my fav meal there was 18 bucks two years ago and today it's 32 .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dang, I didn't realize pvc is so pricey! It seems food is what I used to consider "movie theater or airport pricing" and I realize I am becoming my grandfather about prices being a shock.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Willc

I hope you don't get scared away by your post about your wonderful bog getting hijacked to other topics!

The thing everyone on here has in common is a love of all pond related matters! Otherwise, we are a very diverse group.

There are world-class experts on bogs who are glad to give feedback and problem solve here.

How are you planning to do your cleanouts?

Laaf

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've cleaned up these posts - back on to ponding please :).

Ask a Question