Bog under construction

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My pond may be ready for the liner by Monday and I have begun laying out the bog. Looks like a 4’x6’x18” is what will fit in my limited area. The bog will spill over the pond wall with a slight drop. Thinking of terracing the bog so that back side has gravel out of water then dropping 1” every foot until it spills. Thinking some small rocks could form the terraces until plants get a foothold. I would like the area where it spills over to have an inch of 2 of water. Terraces would not be straight lines but mostly sinuous. A previous post got me thinking of grass shrimp so I thought maybe I could get some breeding in the bog. They probably would all just dump into pond but maybe some would look over and see all the greedy grins below.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Curses on clay. Went out with my laser to do a final check on the pond walls. We have had 5 days without rain and scorching hot temperatures. My level walls are no longer level. The clay has contracted 2 inches at one end of the pond. When it rains again that wall will probably raise back up as the clay rehydrates and swells up. So I am taking the wall down and putting concrete under it. Still no guarantee the clay won’t win. The wall is only 18” high so the weight of the wall may not be enough to keep the clay from winning. But at least if I raise the wall now when it is at its lowest, if it swells up the wall will just be a bit higher. Argh!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So I am taking the wall down and putting concrete under it.
I hope you plan on a reasonably thick pour of concrete and you will be using some rebar? with a clay base I would also put some stone under your pour to alow the water to run under your footing. What ever the standard foundation process is in your area I would think about doing similar

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
The walls above ground are 12” tall backed be dirt berms. The walls start below ground on what was the first ledge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Finished most of the plumbing today. Moved all the dirt piles back to the berm behind the walls and got the bog walls up. Progress and it feels good. Now that all the walls are up it is time to get back to digging the pond out. Shooting for 30” deep end at skimmer, 24” trench to waterfall with cave slots on either side, and 18” shelves in a few places. Nothing shallow. Blue heron visited again today and pond is dry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dan if your getting visited already by the almighty blue! and you don't even have any water as yet you might want to work into your design where you have 24" if not 30" from the edge of your pond to the water level. that will insure blues and most other fishers can't get your fish. and you won't have to deal with a net over your pond. That look doesn't cut it in my eyes.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is 5.5 feet deep, only the one end is shallow so I can get out. The heron stands on the bank and fishes in the deep end. They will wait until the dumb fish swim by, they are very good at catching them.
The heron also is very adapt at walking down a steep 4 foot high rock wall to get to the edge of the water.

My high hanging wide weave net is not real hard on the eyes. Finally stopped those birds from stopping by.

Ask a Question