Bog wall question

Reaction score
i am building my bog wall with the smaller retaining wall bricks. Should I use adhesive (I still have some Firestone liner caulk I could use) to lock them together or should the weight of the water saturated blocks hold them sufficiently? It is not very tall, 8-12 inches plus a layer of natural stone as the cap. Curious as to what others have done.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would recommend using some adhesive. Liner caulk would not be advisable. Perhaps others can give more hands-on knowledge as all of the wetland filters (bogs) that I construct are attached to, part of, and at the same level as the main pond basin.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
i am building my bog wall with the smaller retaining wall bricks. Should I use adhesive (I still have some Firestone liner caulk I could use) to lock them together or should the weight of the water saturated blocks hold them sufficiently? It is not very tall, 8-12 inches plus a layer of natural stone as the cap. Curious as to what others have done.
Please tell me about your Firestone liner caulk. Thanks

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Any suggestions? I tried just dry setting the wall but even with everything plumb, I am getting more flow thru the cracks between/under the blocks than the flow from the pump (splitting flow to falls with a 5000gph pump), so I never get to the point of it spilling over the top of the wall, which is how I thought how the bog would work. I suggested the liner sealant just because I KNOW it is fish safe. I thought a bead between the blocks would at least let the water back up a bit better.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The bog either needs to have a liner or the block wall will need a sealant such as Pond Armor of other similar product. Bare concrete block is not waterproof.

Ask a Question