Bog & Waterfalls, can it be done?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought I read in one thread on here about some choosing to split the feed from the pump to a bog and waterfall separately. If this is true, how does one do that exactly? Assuming having a T fitting with valves so one can control the flow between the two?

Second question, more specific to the bog. If the bog is basically a hole in the ground with a liner, pipe laid at the bottom with holes drilled or cut into 1.5”-2” PVC pipe and pea gravel on top, how does one get the pipe from the pump into it? The objective is to feed the water into the bottom of the bog but with a liner, that would mean cutting a hole in it to feed the pipe from the pump through. This isn’t as hard with a hard plastic formed bog as one can seal holes made in that fairly easily. What am I missing here?

Tks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
If you run the plumbing over the edge of the bog and then down to the bottom you will not have to have a hole in the bottom. Also if you have a small hole or a 1 way valve where the plumbing goes over into the bog it will stop the water from siphoning back into the pond if the pump stops for some reason

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Assuming having a T fitting with valves so one can control the flow between the two?

I can't seem to find a photo of mine, but that's basically what I did.

As far as how it enters, mine actually enters through the stream where the water flows back into the pond, but it's the same regardless of where you enter. You bring it over the top and down in.
DSCN4705.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I thought I read in one thread on here about some choosing to split the feed from the pump to a bog and waterfall separately. If this is true, how does one do that exactly? Assuming having a T fitting with valves so one can control the flow between the two?

We have our pump feeding our bog and a separate small waterfall and stream. Like you said = a T fitting with valves on both to control flow. We actually have a third line T-ing off the line to the small waterfall and stream that we play around with a water feature in the bog. Plumbing makes all things possible!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Attached pictures show how I plumbed the bog etc. first pic is the line from pump into bog. Note clean-out on the side. Second pic is clean-out on the other end of bog supply line so I can clean-out bog from either or both ends if need be. Third pic is of back of waterfall where there is a valve in the green box to control flow to waterfall. It also shows line with valve to upper pond. Also see the spigot I can use to drain water from pond or clean filters with pond water. I am in the process of making fake rocks to cover all the pipes.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 266
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 251
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I was going to add spigot when I build my new pond. Water can then be sent to the lawn and replaced with fresh well water. Better for the lawn and the fish.

Ask a Question