Bogs are becoming more popular Its not rocket science, but it is science!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I belong to several pond-type groups on FB. Lately I have been noticing that more and more people are advocating for bogs! Just today there was a post from someone who was tired of his/her 10 y/o pond because of the algae problem worsening over the years. I admit that I didn’t read through the entire post, so have no idea what the other comments were, but the first one that caught my eye was about plants and bogs! YES! Of course, I added my 2 cents;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
People are finally coming around to the truth about bog filtration.

They work so well and don't cost an arm and a leg to build.
Who knows, maybe the people selling expensive filters are the ones that have been advocating against them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They work so well and don't cost an arm and a leg to build.
WELL THAT ALL DEPENDS ... I WISH MINE COST ME 1/3 OF WHAT I JUST SPENT TO BUILD MINE IN MY LOCATION ........i hate caps i have got to get rig of this gaming keyboard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, I guess the cost depends how big the bog is.
Or the components you use. We used Aquablox and a snorkel and centipede, but it could have been built much cheaper if we wanted to do a DIY version.

I'm personally thrilled to see the pond hobby go from "a bog? WHAT'S THAT?" to "everyone needs one!" Like @addy1 we were warned repeatedly that we would never have clear water, our fish would all die and we'd regret not using a "real" filter on our pond. But we plowed ahead and have never looked back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Or the components you use. We used Aquablox and a snorkel and centipede, but it could have been built much cheaper if we wanted to do a DIY version.

I'm personally thrilled to see the pond hobby go from "a bog? WHAT'S THAT?" to "everyone needs one!" Like @addy1 we were warned repeatedly that we would never have clear water, our fish would all die and we'd regret not using a "real" filter on our pond. But we plowed ahead and have never looked back.
For me it was you can't do that " dangerous words to say to me" i dare anyone to find a planted tank with a waterfall and birds. or corals thriving back in the early 80's . now it's the bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I feel lucky that I got started after they'd already taken off and the choice was simple. I even see convos on koiphen now of people talking about bogs and not getting chased out of town by an angry mob.

I do understand why dedicated koi ponders generally dislike them, though. They take too much space that could have been used for MORE FISH! They also seem to prefer filters they can clean without getting their hands dirty, even if they have to clean the darn thing every other day.

As for the nasa style koi filtration, though, automated rdfs seem pretty amazing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was reading monster pond forums, 11 years ago, when building. They loved bogs big bogs that is where I learned how to build bigger than my previous small bogs, for other ponds.

Ask a Question