Bomb crater pond needs help

Reaction score
My pond was created about 12 yesrs ago out of a V1 bomb crater (see photo album) and for some years had a beautiful crop of lillies and lush growth of bullrushes around the edges. In the last three to four years the lillies have disappeared and the bullrushes receded. The only difference I can see between then and now is that we have many more ducks, and I wondered if either their presence could be making a difference to the water quality or they are eating everything underwater before it gets to the surface

Any thoughts?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am not a dummy with computers, but sure can't find your photo album, can you add a link?

Reaction score
Not sure, I've posted pictures to my gallery on my profile but can't see it in the main gallery - can a moderator advise, please?

One pic attached fyi

Attachments

• DSC_0389.jpg
    DSC_0389.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 298

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
zipser said:

Beautiful, very nice pond. I assume you have fish in it. Have your levels of fish decreased?
eat.gif

i.e. are there not enough nutrients to support the plants? That does not seem logical but is a place to start.
Have you tested your water? maybe you can post the results, that also will help.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
zipser said:
Not sure, I've posted pictures to my gallery on my profile but can't see it in the main gallery - can a moderator advise, please?

One pic attached fyi

Your link works fine and I was able to see all 7 pictures.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
zipser said:

One pic attached fyi

Had me thinking for a bit since I was not aware of the personal profile photo feature in the User CP.
You posted these into the User CP profile, photo upload area, not the Gallery. I you want them into the General Gallery, click on it an upload these again and they will be in the Master Gallery

Reaction score
Right, will do, thanks!

I will test the water (for ph, right?) and see what's what. There are fish, roach and perch for sure, hard to know what else as I am not a fisherman; certainly enough to keep my heron stooging around most days!

Reaction score
Thanks Mr Lifeworth, I have to admit that it's been mildly accidental thus far (not least the bomb falling there in the first place - 50 yards east and I wouldn't have had a house to move into!) but with the problems I've noted I realise I need to engage with it rather more. The photo I put up is the view from where I work, so I have a vested interest in restoring it to former glory...

Reaction score
OK, there I accept you have me at a disadvantage! There used to be a very large orange job but I looked up from my desk one day to see him exit stage left in the heron's beak, so that has reduced the biodiversity a bit

Reaction score
zipser said:
Thanks Mr Lifeworth, I have to admit that it's been mildly accidental thus far (not least the bomb falling there in the first place - 50 yards east and I wouldn't have had a house to move into!) but with the problems I've noted I realise I need to engage with it rather more. The photo I put up is the view from where I work, so I have a vested interest in restoring it to former glory...

That's Ms Lifeworth :lol:

You also work right there as well. Oh my. Now I do have land envie!

Your right koiguy. I just always want bigger. Just thankful I found a house that had a spot for my koi. Or I would still be house hunting.

Ask a Question