Bonding EPDM Liner to Concrete Block

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking for a solid solution for bonding an EPDM pond liner to concrete block. I have built a wall using stack-able
concrete retaining wall blocks and plan to slip the liner between two courses. The lower courses have been glued down using a Loctite product that is specially formulated for concrete landscape block.

I have attached a picture of the pool I've created. So in essence the liner will be placed under the top course you seen in the picture. I will adding a final finishing course to the very top.

I appreciate any suggestions
Richard

IMG_0394.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... I'll leave the construction advice to those who are smarter than me. But I will say Welcome to the GPF! That's some nice stonework!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone!!

LisaK thanks for the welcome! Looks like some really good information here. I look forward to reading more posts as I continue the journey making the pond and waterfall.

IPA - you know, the liner probably doesn't need to be glued down. I'll have the fabric underlay which can glue and then am guessing the weight from top two levels will hold it all in place.

Meyer - I saw that material after I posted here. I've emailed the company with the same question and will await the reply.
Richard

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IMG_5323.JPG
IMG_5324.JPG
IMG_5330.JPG
IMG_5824.JPG
Having just finished a new pond similar to yours, I don't know of anything that will hold 45 mil edpm to a vertical surface, the darn stuff is extremely heavy. What I did is install the liner, fill the pond as high as you can and try to work out as many of the wrinkles as you can while you are filling it. And you will have large wrinkles especially on the curved walls and in the corners of the straight walls. When I got it full, I pulled the liner over the wall and then everywhere there was a wrinkle I split the liner from the inside edge of the block to the outside, then I would pull the liner over the top of the block and overlap the split trying to get the wrinkles out then glue it down to the block. Then glue the Capstones to the glued liner. It's not 100% as far as getting the wrinkles out but it goes a long way

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just layed it over like pics above .It will hold in place with no problems .
new pond 006.JPG
new pond march 10th2014 033.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your input...I think I'm going to use the method of tucking the liner under the second course from the top. So two rows of blocks will be sitting on top of the underlay and the liner. Should be plenty of weight to hold it down especially when you factor in the weight of the water in the pond itself.

For now I get to go out in the heat and dig a trench for the electrical line...fun times!
Richard

Ask a Question