BONDING METAL SPILLWAY TO HDPE LINER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbishing my pond and am endeavouring to make it as leak free as possible…….

I have an HDPE liner and an aluminium spillway and am looking at how best to bond the two materials together. Any advice much appreciated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am refurbishing my pond and am endeavouring to make it as leak free as possible…….

I have an HDPE liner and an aluminium spillway and am looking at how best to bond the two materials together. Any advice much appreciated

Rigid or flexible hdpe liner? Sounds like a good application for a marine adhesive sealant with fasteners. Fasteners only would probably good enough if liner is rigid, otherwise fasteners against a termination bar.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rigid or flexible hdpe liner? Sounds like a good application for a marine adhesive sealant with fasteners. Fasteners only would probably good enough if liner is rigid, otherwise fasteners against a termination bar.
Thanks for your advice. It’s flexible HDPE.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why bother to even try to bond them together as that is not just a bead of caulk solution LONG TERM.

WHY NOT RUN THE LINER COMPLETELY UNDER THE WHOLE AREA. Place your biofalls or bog onto the liner and let it fall. If your building a stream do the same as above but now use bib liners to control the water a bit more..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why bother to even try to bond them together as that is not just a bead of caulk solution LONG TERM.

WHY NOT RUN THE LINER COMPLETELY UNDER THE WHOLE AREA. Place your biofalls or bog onto the liner and let it fall. If your building a stream do the same as above but now use bib liners to control the water a bit more..
A quality caulking and a termination strip could do the job

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I’m looking to bond a stone slab (and some other rocks ) to make a spillway from my bog to the main pond it’s an epdm liner (flexible rubber) really I just want to keep water from going around and under the rocks doesn’t need to carry much of a load just force the water through the spillway. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having been recently investigating such matters, my conclusion is to use a two part epoxy glue. From what I have discovered so far, epoxy is fish safe when cured so it’s fine to use during pond construction.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’m looking to bond a stone slab (and some other rocks ) to make a spillway from my bog to the main pond it’s an epdm liner (flexible rubber) really I just want to keep water from going around and under the rocks doesn’t need to carry much of a load just force the water through the spillway. Any thoughts?
When doing similar on my pond I used pl roofing sealant. Wear gloves, I just redid two waterfalls used it under rocks to keep the water on top of not under. Works great, easy to use. Messy
Screenshot_20230614_101243_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

If you are going to seal between two different materials take into consideration the expansion and contraction rate between the two. as for sealing HDPE and aluminum I would follow @GBBUDD idea. BUTTTT I have not found the product He suggests anywhere near me. As a secondary back-up I do use " Tite-Seal PLST325 Self Adhesive Double Sided Butyl Pond Seam Tape, 3" by 25' " You MUST work clean and dry. this tape is non forgiving, it sticks its done. I use a small roller made for wallpaper seams. they also make it in a single sided tape.

smartpond Black Pond Foam Sealer would work, messy to work with. do NOT use the yellow or white expanding foam used for doors and windows, this foam is not closed cell.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you are going to seal between two different materials take into consideration the expansion and contraction rate between the two. as for sealing HDPE and aluminum I would follow @GBBUDD idea. BUTTTT I have not found the product He suggests anywhere near me. As a secondary back-up I do use " Tite-Seal PLST325 Self Adhesive Double Sided Butyl Pond Seam Tape, 3" by 25' " You MUST work clean and dry. this tape is non forgiving, it sticks its done. I use a small roller made for wallpaper seams. they also make it in a single sided tape.

smartpond Black Pond Foam Sealer would work, messy to work with. do NOT use the yellow or white expanding foam used for doors and windows, this foam is not closed cell.
Pl s 30 is a urethane caulking and a quality one at that but it takes 7 hours to skin over

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pl s 30 is a urethane caulking and a quality one at that but it takes 7 hours to skin over
I just squirted under the flat waterfall rocks, a lot, squished them down, let sit maybe a few hours flipped the water on, all fine.

I was not doing a total water tight seal, more go this way instead for water flow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Skin Time: Overnight or within 24 hours* At 75°F, 50% relative humidity, and a ½” width by ¼” depth joint Cure Time: 1 week* At 75°F, 50% relative humidity, and a ½” width by ¼” depth joint *Time is dependent on temperature, humidity, porosity of substrate and depth of sealant applied.

Above is from the msds sheet for pl s 30 it is a fantastic sealant as most pl products are it's just this one has it's limits in application time.
If a 1/2" bead is required i would use backer rod to aid in it's cure time by making the bead a skim coat over a thick bead. but once it has set it is a great product.

Ask a Question