Bonjour from the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada

Reaction score
I've had my smallish 2400 gallon pond for three years now, nestled deep in the woods outside a tiny place near the Vermont border. It's been a mix of koi pond and water garden.

Our winters are so cold that I haven't tried to winter my koi over in the small pond, instead moving them over to our large natural pond that has a strong enough water source that a small hole stays open all winter to vent any noxious gases. Unfortunately, it's also a great entrance hole for mink, who eat all my beloved koi. I've actually seen them dive into the pond during the winter.

So far the mink haven't found the small pond so my cunning plan for this year is to use a bubbler to keep my small pond open all winter, and to try to winter over this season's five tiny koi. I'm hoping some other winter bound ponder has had experience with this and will share their expertise and experience. So much to learn, eh?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome, I use a air pump in the winter for koi and goldfish, my pond is 3ft deep at the deepest point. Everything came through very nicely this year. This was one of the the coldest this year. My largest koi is about 12" I did have a small fish die this year, it was about 1 1/2". Not sure why but everyone else was perfect

Here is a video from January under the ice, you can see the air pump I use

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
iu
Marn

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, I use a air pump in the winter for koi and goldfish, my pond is 3ft deep at the deepest point. Everything came through very nicely this year. This was one of the the coldest this year. My largest koi is about 12" I did have a small fish die this year, it was about 1 1/2". Not sure why but everyone else was perfect

Here is a video from January under the ice, you can see the air pump I use

Awesome! Love watching fish, and yours are lovely!

Ask a Question