Books?

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Since I was a kid I've been into water gardening and have collected a number of books over the years even long before I built my first water garden.

I have a question though, it seem the good stuff was published back in the 90's and early 2000's but more recently it seems the only books on the topic are produced by corporate writers rather than individual experts like Helen Nash, or Peter Robinson if anyone is familiar. Does anyone is still writing books independently? If so where can I find stuff like that?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Since @dave54 has been here the last few days, maybe he can answer the question. He and his wife maintain an extensive library of books on koi keeping. @Dave 54 - anything new that you can recommend for @FountainMan ?

@Dave 54 has also published a list of his library here - I'll see if I can find it and post the link.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Books on water gardening can be difficult to come by. The Audubon if there is one in your area may have resources. The botanical gardens in some locations(with student's) may also let you view and copy. A lot of the best literature, studies on aquatic plants live in storage rooms, filing cabinets etc. Small horticultural societies, clubs often have a lot of plant information, just look them up and call. Studies of aquatic plants, from the early 1900's to 1980's are just not found on the internet, or new books, as the interest , and effort of putting old literature on the internet is just not there. Often times these small clubs would have archives. Maybe go to the library or even the historical society, and see if any horticultural clubs are in your area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I only have two books on water gardening both are a number of years old
Water Gardens in a weekend ISBN 060060697x Author Peter Robinson.
The second John Dawes's Book of Water Gardens ISBN 0866226621 Author John Dawes.
Hope they help

Dave

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
The thing is reading books helps get ideas on certain techniques and practices. I still learn and sometimes searching for stuff on Google doesn't exactly give me what I'm looking for. Sometimes it's fun to read on the subject without the Internet.

Ask a Question