books

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
does anyone know of some books that deal mainly with constructing ponds filters as in bogs and all the usual beginner questions
any recommendations or links would be great
thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Are you talking about bog filtration specifically? I've been looking for this too and haven't had much luck finding anything. There are some wonder pond books out there, but if bog filtration is mentioned at all, it's usually just a paragraph or two.
The best resource for a DIY bog may be right here on the forum. Addy1 has a very long thread at the very top in the construction section. It's great!
If you are looking for general pond construction books, there are a bunch. Amazon has many!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here are a few...

Attachments

• b1.png
    b1.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 112
  • b2.png
    b2.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 101
  • b3.png
    b3.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 107
  • b4.png
    b4.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 99
  • b5.png
    b5.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 109
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
There is also one called (I think) The Complete Pond Builder by Helen Nash. It's good!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
YES! Eric Triplett is incredible. His How to Build A Fish Pond series on youtube was my guide for doing my pond. Very thorough tutorials!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just searched on line for thoughts on my build. So much info out there.

That's what we did, too. To me (and I'm a librarian) books are static. Information changes, but books exist forever as they were written. The internet allows information to be kept current as we learn more - no matter what the topic. You do have to be careful about internet sources, but there's a world of information out there for anyone who takes the time to look for it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You do have to be careful about internet sources
The internet helped me built my massive bog, the internet also told me it would never work! I choose the route that it would work and it does!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The internet helped me built my massive bog, the internet also told me it would never work! I choose the route that it would work and it does!

Perfect example! Most of what I know about ponding I learned on the internet, but there is so much conflicting information you have to eventually decide for yourself what makes sense. And what makes sense for you and your pond. Bottom drains and specialized filters and all of that koi pond stuff do work, but it wasn't the kind of pond that I would enjoy. Hence the reason I like to promote the eco-pond concept for other lazy ponders like me! haha!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hence the reason I like to promote the eco-pond concept for other lazy ponders like me! haha!
You can't have a more lazy pond then mine.............plug the pump in spring time and I can ignore it all summer if I want to.
Well after I repair any damage from deer over the winter Moved rocks, plant debris from the eating and dropping it into the stream, they do make a mess over winter. Killed a few plants also.

I don't want filters to clean. I have not touched the bog since I built it i.e. cleaning, all I have done is purge plants.

Ask a Question