Border Bog?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been lurking for a couple weeks and have learned a ton from this site already. The pond I had in my head doesn't resemble what I'm looking at now so...thanks...I guess...is there a divorce lawyer in this forum? Joking and seriously...thanks.
I have been looking at a ~5k gallon pond...a 14ft circle with an outcropping of about 4'x10'; 3-4' deep (in Ohio) . Bare liner, only a small shelf for a few lilies/lotus...hoping to keep a handful of koi and some goldfish. Lots of work but simple concept.
Then...someone mentioned their dog. And I started thinking that anytime I'm working in my garden, or showing interest in anything really...my dumb dog drops her ball at my feet and if I don't pay attention she'll drop in straight in my raised beds. No doubt, if it were low enough she'd drop her ball in the pond. She probably wouldn't have much interest in the pond itself but if it were face level or lower, she would drop the ball and wherever the ball goes she goes.
So, I don't want to put a fence around the pond...decompression time involves the pooch...she's party of the equation. My thought is to have a couple feet of the pond above ground...acting as a low wall. And then I thought about addy1's drawing of a border bog. A 2' bog around the perimeter (with a few areas without so you can walk right up to the edge) would give more of a dog/pond buffer and doing the math, would seem to give me an good amount of filtration. I planned on a negative edge into a "pseudo-intake bay" that the landshark could have access and splash around in safety.

But I've searched the site and haven't seen any examples of border bog in use. Has anyone seen or use a setup like this? Does a 2' wide by~30' combined length bog work?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
A border bog will work fine, just have gravity do its thing for the water to fall back into the pond. Can use one solid liner for the pond and bog or separate liners just leave enough over lap so water can’t wick up and out between the liner.

I believe a former member here brokensword has sort of what you are thinking about, his goes around about half of his pond. There should be pics on here somewhere of it and he talked about the design and set up in a thread, as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A border bog will work fine, just have gravity do its thing for the water to fall back into the pond. Can use one solid liner for the pond and bog or separate liners just leave enough over lap so water can’t wick up and out between the liner.

I believe a former member here brokensword has sort of what you are thinking about, his goes around about half of his pond. There should be pics on here somewhere of it and he talked about the design and set up in a thread, as well.
Thanks I'll try and look that up.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! A bog of any type is great for your pond.

Ask a Question