Bottom Drain

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone

So I'm a novice, bought a house with a pond a couple of years ago and have been taking care of it.
I went to open for the spring and am having issue I hope someone can help me with.
I have a bottom drain (I think that's what it's called) that I use to get out so of the sludge etc.
I opened it and am only getting a trickle, usually it flows real think (and dirty) and then clear, and I close it.
Everything else seems normal, I got the waterfall back on, added my spring chemicals, but nothing coming out the bottom drain when I open it.
Is it clogged??
To be honest I don't even know where in the bottom it comes from, only where it comes out, any ideas, suggestions, thoughts. Would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Adam

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't have a bottom drain, but I think you have a blockage. The BD should be on the bottom of your pond. Do you have any means of snaking the line?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
normally if u see inside u may find the hole ie pipe coming from pond , if u insert a hose and back pressure it , u might b able to open it ... 1st do this at the outlet where u drain it .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have tried snaking it and running hose in back, still seems to be clogged, anyone have other ideas or thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated!
I also have a lot (more than usual) of swarms of bugs (midges?) around pond, is this related?
Thanks for your help .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I have tried snaking it and running hose in back, still seems to be clogged, anyone have other ideas or thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated!
I also have a lot (more than usual) of swarms of bugs (midges?) around pond, is this related?
Thanks for your help .
hmm other thing u can check the end which is inside pond see if things blocking it ? cant think more , one thing is use some hard wire smthing like that which can go in
when u hose it , u need to block the rest of the hole and just let hose pressure built up

Reaction score
Country
United States
hmm other thing u can check the end which is inside pond see if things blocking it ? cant think more , one thing is use some hard wire smthing like that which can go in
when u hose it , u need to block the rest of the hole and just let hose pressure built up
Thank you! I got it a little while ago with hose all the way in!!
It was nasty, but I cleaned it out, everything running nicely! Just hoping some of these bugs go away, any tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
wow thats good news , must b relief seeing all the junk getout lol
which type of bugs are they ? may b some one can advise , i let alone the bugs bees they come and go , just mosquitoes bother me but cant do any thing they come back even after spray time to time so no cure

Reaction score
Country
United States
wow thats good news , must b relief seeing all the junk getout lol
which type of bugs are they ? may b some one can advise , i let alone the bugs bees they come and go , just mosquitoes bother me but cant do any thing they come back even after spray time to time so no cure

It was great, there was a lot of junk!!

The bugs are swarming flying by pond, I think midges, can anyone confirm and/or give advice on how to deal with it?

Thank You!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Glad to hear you got it clear. This sounds like a backwash valve for your filter - not a bottom drain which is in the bottom of the actual pond.

We get the little gnatty flying things in spring. They come and go very quickly. The frogs make a snack out of them. I don't think the bugs are related to your plugged drain.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Glad to hear you got it clear. This sounds like a backwash valve for your filter - not a bottom drain which is in the bottom of the actual pond.

We get the little gnatty flying things in spring. They come and go very quickly. The frogs make a snack out of them. I don't think the bugs are related to your plugged drain.
Thank you! Yes, sounds like a backwash valve, appreciate the knowledge.
I am used to some of the bugs but it seemed more than usual, hoping its temporary.

Ask a Question