bottom drains

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
after looking around i have noticed different trends and thoughts on what people think. it seams that across the pond most people go for big natural stone. gravel bottoms. streams. pumps in the water. big stone waterfalls, flipping fantastic!!!! where i live the norm is very formal, either rectangle round or square,pond liner smooth sides, smooth bottoms and for a koi pond a bottom drain is a must,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
after looking around i have noticed different trends and thoughts on what people think. it seams that across the pond most people go for big natural stone. gravel bottoms. streams. pumps in the water. big stone waterfalls, flipping fantastic!!!! where i live the norm is very formal, either rectangle round or square,pond liner smooth sides, smooth bottoms and for a koi pond a bottom drain is a must,
Yes its a British koi thing slick , our bottom drain is bedded down in fine grave and sand then the pond which is free standing sits on top of it., the Pond is a former Koi dealerships QT pond so the filtration is three 32" vortex style filters one a vortex the next two have Japp Matting airtones zeolite Lythaqua etc in them and the fourth is a barrel filter for my K1 there are 3 airstnes in no's 2, 3, and in the barrel filter with the K1 we run 6 airstones supplied by an airtec 40e airpump with another supplying air to our spindrifter bottom drain cover .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
wish id have fitted an aerated bottom drain now,but too late now, im in the middle of building a moving bed k1 filter got most of the parts now, all except next doors water butt, they will have to go out and leave the house soon surly lol and when they do its mine,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
wish id have fitted an aerated bottom drain now,but too late now, im in the middle of building a moving bed k1 filter got most of the parts now, all except next doors water butt, they will have to go out and leave the house soon surly lol and when they do its mine,
Bottom drains have covers you can buy an aerated version of that cover Slick as they are interchangable... but you'll need to run the hose pipe that supplies it back through your 4" drain and bring it up out of the pipe prior to your 4" slide valve.
We did this by tapping in a smaller upright pipe running the hose up through that and too your aerator, then simply connect it up and turn it on Whalla you have your aerated bottom drain, I've attached a few photos of during the build so you can see how we set the filters up and raan the pipe into the bottom drain
image_4.jpg

Dave 2.jpg

Dave 2.jpg

Dave 4.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

Hope this gives you some ideas Slick

Dave

Attachments

• Dave 5.jpg
    Dave 5.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Or have you topped your pond up thus its then too late to do so ??
Have a chat with a dealership and see if you could sort of retro fit it somehow,. Now talking about that and to give you a laugh we had a bit of a problem, because our pond is a former QT pond for a dealership some of the pipe work etc needed replacing as did the bottom drain .
Problem was when we turned the air on the spindrifter would pop up out , to get around this I found an old traffic cone looking lonely and all busted up so I picked it up and took it home with me , it was one of those old heavy bottomed cones .
I simply knocked the cone out pressure washed it then put four coats of pond paint over it , we then slid it down a poll straight to where it was needed it sits just over the drain with the hole directly over the aerated bottomdrain cover , on all four sides there is room for detritus to be sucked down it ( its called thinking on your feet)..... :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Iv heard about the conversion kits but this means getting in the pond and diving down over 5 feet in bloody cold pond water, if ever your in Doncaster let me know and ill hold your coat and make a warm brew for you when the work is done lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Iv heard about the conversion kits but this means getting in the pond and diving down over 5 feet in bloody cold pond water, if ever your in Doncaster let me know and ill hold your coat and make a warm brew for you when the work is done lol
I used to be swimmer of the watch onboard two frigates but with my knees in your cold water you'd end up rescuing me mate :LOL:

Dave

Ask a Question