Bottom feeder, Koi versus Tench

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my first post on the forums.

Koi versus Tench as a bottom feeder. From what I've read both are good bottom feeders but the Koi can have a varied diet. I am wondering if the Kois' diet may turn exclusively away from bottom feeding?

Background info:
I am hoping to turn roughly an acre into a permaculture of plant and pond life. My aim is to achieve a self sustaining eco system. This will be a mud pond with no filtration but many oxidising plants. I have experience with both tench and koi as I used to tend my fathers pond who keeps both. I would prefer not to keep both as it can become too much of a head ache with the self sustaining aspect.

I have searched the web but can't find anyone making this comparison. Maybe because it's stupid but I'm asking anyway.

Reaction score
Since you don't plan to use a pump, filter, air etc I would suggest the Tench, as they are better suited to low oxygen levels. Plants consume oxygen at night and aren't really a sufficient source of oxygen for Koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
jony121 said:
Thanks DP. I am wondering if the pond size might help with that?
Welcome to the forum from another Brit personally I would go for the tench but as to the size pond that I can only suggest you talk to a koi breeder/dealer they will be able to give you the size of a growing on pond
However you may not in some circumstances have a totally self sustaaining pond and there are some instances you'll need air pumped into the pond or loose all your fish I'm talking in the event of Catastrophic Oxygen Depletion .
Which can occur plants or no plants
Have PM'd you with the information .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Thank you Dave. After reading up on COD I agree that Tench is the safest option for my situation.

Although not quite as good looking as the Koi, I just found the Golden Tench. Best middle ground.

Golden%20Tench.jpg

Ask a Question