Bottom Filter

Reaction score
So after many long talks we've decided we're going ot ditch the prefab and build a much bigger pond, but since I wont get to home port for a few more months we're takign the time to save up and do the resurch. Idealy it will be about 10 x 5 x 3-4 ft deep with atleast 100 gal bog that will run down a water fall. We will also have a 55 g skippy set up but I was wondering if any of you guys set up bottom drains also or if the water fall/bog and skippys will do it... we're also thinking of adding in a skimmer too...

thanks!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I personally do not like skimmers or bottom drains. A submersible pump does almost the same function and if slightly elevated will never leave your fish without water when something goes wrong. Murphys Law, it always does.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you put in a bottom drain its another hole in your liner. any time you cut the liner its an oppurtunity for a leak. wether in the liner or the plumbing underneath. if either happens you basically have to almost rebuild the pond to fix it if it clogs..get out the scuba gear, your diving....a submersable pump, if clogged you pull up, remove the debris, and put it back. you dont even have to get in the pond. and the plumbing is easily accessible too, its above the liner. this makes future modifications a breeze.and trouble shooting a snap..... now this is just my opinion... members of another unnamed forum would have me exiled to a 3rd world country, or shot!! so you do what you thinks best!!

Reaction score
You'll find lots of opinions on bottom drains. I have the aqua art retro bottom drain that I installed 2 months ago. It's made a massive difference in my water quality and I have zero muck or anything on the bottom of my pond. I have never needed to vacuum the pond bottom or scoop anything out with a net since. It's just made a huge difference for me in terms of maintenance. Where I used to be getting my hands wet and getting in the pond to scoop things out, I'm now just sitting back and enjoying my pond instead. And, it's tied right into my 55 gal filter the way you'd like to do.

I had to install a retro drain because I inherited a pond without a real BD. However, if I were to build my pond from scratch the way you are (and I hope to re-do this pond fully in the next 3 years), I will absolutely be installing a real bottom drain. But for now, my retro drain does exactly what I need it to do and is keeping my water crystal clear.

Also, go 4 feet deep instead of 3 feet if you can. The deeper the better.

Reaction score
thanks for the ideas! 4 ft would be awesome, we're just trying to think of different ways to run the plumbing and elctrical because the deepest part will be some 20-30 ft from the house and where the filters are. Do you guys use extrnsion cords with your filters to make them reach the whole way or just use a bigger pump to pull the water further?

Reaction score
ctrgojo said:
thanks for the ideas! 4 ft would be awesome, we're just trying to think of different ways to run the plumbing and elctrical because the deepest part will be some 20-30 ft from the house and where the filters are. Do you guys use extrnsion cords with your filters to make them reach the whole way or just use a bigger pump to pull the water further?
I ran 1 inch conduit underground, wired it up with 12-2. mounted an outside electrical box and switch for the lights.

Reaction score
sounds pretty easy, thankfully my neighbor is an electrician :)

what about currents in your ponds? can the deep end be the same end with the water fall or is there much difference?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
your best off with your deep end opposite the falls,so the force from the falls helps push debris to the deep, where your pump, bottom drain or prefilter is located.

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the input. We jumped in with our first pond so we are making sure to plan this monster upgrade just right :toothy12:

Reaction score
Not sure how big the prefab is but it may be perfect to use as un skippy filter that looks line an upper pond where the waterfall comes off of.

Reaction score
its a 250 gallon and we were hoping ot build 3-4 of the Dr.Dave's filters to feed it and it then would be the top of three levels... it was just going to have lava rock and plants in it as far as plans are going so far. We're also looking into cutting it and building on of the waterfall lips but we're a bit nervous to cut it since it is a prefab.

Ask a Question