botton sitting

Reaction score
Im lost and need help. I got two fantails day before yesterday and put them in quarantine. Ammonia 0, Ph 8, nitrite 0. One minute the fish are swimming and active the next they are sitting at the bottom motionless and side by side. Cant see anything visually wrong on them and am not sure what to do but this behavior just dosnt seem right, . Thanks for any advise it would be appreciated.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put some fan tails in my deck pond, they sat on the bottom for days, even now like to sit down there. They do come up to eat, been in the pond for around 3 weeks now

Reaction score
They seem very nervous, the dealer said they just came in and only have been there two hours so maybe all the moving has them stressed, they freak out when I turn the light on and when I approach the tank or walk by they seem to get spooked, wont surface for food. I put a small water hyacinth from my pond in the tank that I plan on discarding they do eat algae off of it and a couple of peas I gave them. But most of the time they sit at the bottom or try to hide under the filter or behind each other.Im just worried im missing something.I guess time will tell.

Reaction score
Well I was sitting here and looking at the tank and thinking it seemed like it was missing something and it hit me an aerator, as soon as I put it in they really seem to wake up constantly swimming in and out of the bubbles and looking for food so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are scared at the new humane that is staring at them .Fantails are less social at first and it takes time to win them over

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to hear they are doing better, I never saw mine for the first few weeks , just little peeks now and then, still a little spooky.

Reaction score
Glad to hear they are doing better, I never saw mine for the first few weeks , just little peeks now and then, still a little spooky.
Thanks Addy, they haven't sat still since the aerator was put in,dont know if it was oxygen or what but what a difference!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to hear. I have a small pump running a plant filter on the deck pond that runs continuously. Since the deck pond is on a timer with the stream it keeps the water moving when the stream is not flowing.
IMG_0756.JPG

This is a month later, it draws from the small part of the pond, the fish are in the larger portion.
DSC08215.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 love the plant filter, would you be so kind as to explain how its set up?
It is a 8 dollar pot from lowes
think it was this one
http://www.lowes.com/pd_44256-41822-SW2412SA_1z0wg9l__?productId=3915180&pl=1

I have a small fountain pump that does around 150 gph or so, would need to find the box. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the pot stuck a piece of garden hose though it, sealed with goop. The hose runs across the bottom of the pot with some holes in it. I drilled three 3/4 inch holes in the side, stuck in some pieces of irrigation black pipe, 3/4 inch. gooped around them just to keep the water flowing out the tubes rather than drip down the side.

Filled it with pea gravel, pulled some plants from the pond and bogs stuck them in the top. Mainly creeping jenny.

Whatever plants that are in there will need to be pulled and stuck somewhere else for the winter. The pot will need to be drained ow it will crack as the ice expands. To drain all I need to do is turn off the pump and it back flows. When I do back drain it, I will pull the line out of the pond so it dumps the accumulated muck on the ground.

I just leave the small pump in the pond for the winter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That little pond would get sort of stagnant since the stream runs on a timer, algae loved it. Now it stays crystal clear, gets fresh water twice a day when the stream turns on for a few hours.

Plants do a great job with filtering.

Ask a Question