20171011_194031.jpg
20171012_084124.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is there a benefit to having snails in the pond or indoor tank, or do people keep them just cause they're cute?

When I was a child maybe 6 or 7yrs old, I set out to find snails and I had them in a tiny little cage...I would bring them fresh lettuce (not sure if they ate it) visit with them, and called them my pets.....then one day I found them dried up and stinky, I'm not sure how long I had left them, I was just a child, but the smell, ewww that I still remember as if it was yesterday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is there a benefit to having snails in the pond or indoor tank, or do people keep them just cause they're cute?

When I was a child maybe 6 or 7yrs old, I set out to find snails and I had them in a tiny little cage...I would bring them fresh lettuce (not sure if they ate it) visit with them, and called them my pets.....then one day I found them dried up and stinky, I'm not sure how long I had left them, I was just a child, but the smell, ewww that I still remember as if it was yesterday.

algae control mainly. but others will chime in and i agree what goes in comes out. food= waste.

I got them for the tank mainly to help with the nutrient cycle to feed the bog plants i brought in for the winter. also have 4 minnows in the tank 3 1" and one 1.5" ( rough guess on size)

depending on how the snail reproduce i may drop some in the pond when i open it up next year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
just spotted a 3rd. and possible a 4th.. thought i got adults not teenagers. may need a bigger tank now.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nothing worse than the smell of dead snails. They smell bad enough it could make me throw up.

Anyhow, I have trapdoor snails in my pond mainly to give my terrapins something to eat and to add some diversity.

Ask a Question