Bought 6 Koi Housing them in my 125g tank.

Reaction score
Just purchased 6 koi, 4 regular koi and 2 butterfly koi. They are roughly 4 inches in length (body not counting tail)

I'm housing them in my 125g tank until my pond is built. I'm running two Eheim canister filters, plus two sponge filters each rated for 55g tanks. The canisters are rated for 150g tanks each. Temp is 73, no heaters in tank.

Looking to keep them in that tank for approx 45 days.

Looking for opinions.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think if you watch your water tests they should do fine. The sooner turned loose the better of course

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they are a tad bet crowded aren't they .You could alway's put them in a kiddy pool with a net tightly over the top with a pump and filter .You don't need anything fancy for a filter a tote would be fine .Keep an air pump in there with a a pump don't need anything fancy for that either .Just keep it out of direct sun .I use a big rubbermade barrel at times .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
or one of those big buckets with the handles, use two, can get them for 5 bucks at wally world.

So you think getting them in bigger will be way better sissy? even with the filtering they are doing? thanks for the input

Reaction score
The tank is bare bottomed and any waste is siphoned out daily. I had housed 12 fully grown discus in the same tank a few years ago with a tank temp of 86f and had no problems with them starving for O2.

The water temp is 73f, well aerated: I'm sure the water is holding plenty of dissolved O2 because it's a lot cooler. They are far from crowded at this point.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh thats what I was talking about got a rope handle .With koi I would they stress easy and can injure each other .I had mine in a big tank like the white ones at tractor supply and I had to work fast to get my pond rebuilt .I worked until 3 in the morning some days .I could see the way they were acting .Even with air pumps fiter and pumps the water clouded fast .They go to the bathroom a lot .I kept the goldies and fantails in 2 of those barrels .The only thing in the huge tank was aggie ,bert and the butterflies and fancy tails and 1 shubukin

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well as long as you can keep an eye out on them and if you see any changes you will know .Not sure how fish tanks work never had one so I'm a dummy there .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep should be good, the fish are only 4" so not that big and won't be in there that long. This way you get a chance to really study them too and get them used to you somewhat :cool:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
in a 125 gallon tank as long as you watch your water readings and stay on top of it you'll be fine. My friend in Mississippi that had to move his pond has been holding 4 4-5 inch koi in a 10 gallon tank for about a month and a half, he just moved them today to a 20 gallon tank. They are crowded but healthy, I have him doing 2 gallon water changes every other day, all water checks are coming back fine and he's only running two hang on the back filters and a large airstone. The one thing good is, he now understands all about water quality tests!

Ask a Question