Bought a couple of Water Lily's...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
From Lowes and wanted to know exactly how to go about putting them in the pond, I do have an Pond Planter Basket but should I use pea gravel around the Mesh bag the Lily's came in? thanks

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The first water lily I ever bought came in like a fiber bag or something similar. It said "just drop and grow". It did poorly. Eventually I found out that those bags don't give the roots enough room to grow. I'd suggest removing it from the bag and just planting it in a decent size pot filled with dirt or pea gravel.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
very true those bags seem to hinder growth of the roots .I have never had any luck with barley planters .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used kitty litter and crushed oyster shells but they are not in the pond with the fish .Aggie and bert destroy plants .Even the plant rings after time were bad .I came down one morning to find poor aggie stuck half in and half out of one and lucky she did not die or hurt herself

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just use kitty litter only, no koi to dig them up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used kitty litter and pea gravel with bigger rocks on the corners holding them in so they dont float away

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
glad I read this post today, I just planted using the "drop and grow' method on the them. I also bought mine from lowes they come in the fiber mesh planter bag. wondering now if I should pull them up out and replant them in a planter box.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I can see little pads sprouting out of the top now. Now if I could only find some water lettuce! There was a lady selling some last year here on Craigslist but cant find anything yet :/ I love those!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lucky you Jason and your Florida sunshine. My lilies won't be rising for awhile yet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought water lilies from Lowes. They also came in that mesh bag. I'm so upset and want to know the name of the mfg of them? My fish became entangled in that bag. One was stuck inside the bag with the netting growing into him!!! One had escaped but had scars all over him. These need to be taken off the shelves!!!! The directions say, "drop in" yeah right!!!!!! Why on earth I didn't think about a netting material in a fish pond is my stupidity but you'd THINK the people that make these would def know better!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Why on earth I didn't think about a netting material in a fish pond is my stupidity but you'd THINK the people that make these would def know better!!!

Wow! That is scary! I would suggest you start a new thread so people will see this information - this is a rather old thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I have one in a basket, the others in square plastic containers. All are in Kat litter. They seem to be doing well. I also got mine from Lowes.
No, wait, I got one from Home Depot, and the rest from Lowes. They all are doing well. Main thing is to get them early in the season.
The ones from Lowes come as a tuber, in a plastic bag, in a plastic cup. Over time, in that situation, they will dry out, and die. But as long as you can see moisture in the container/bag (condensation) chances are, they will be viable specimens. If the container appears dry, they will most likely not grow, but will rot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I bought two from Lowe’s removes the net etc down to tuber and potted the tubers that had a few leaves on them using the oil pan with kitty litter, Osmocote (slow release fertilizer) and pea gravel on top. Both now have 4 or 5 pads. I also got two pickerel rush plants. Removed the netting etc and planted them the same way in a deeper pot so they root would only be 5 or 6” underwater. They already have a profusion of leaves just breaking the surface.

Ask a Question