Bought a home with pond...and now..HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning from NJ. We purchased a new home that has a small pond about 2' deep in center with 2 shelves, one on each side. I have never owned a pond and the wife originally wanted to remove it. While the wife and I were on our first kidless vacation in 12 years my family was kind enough to clean it out (it was full of algae and leaves and crud due to the previous owners neglecting it). We discovered it had a pump and waterfall which I got working. Everyone loves it and now the kids want to add a few fish but I am cautious as I want to do this correctly and being in NJ we do get below freezing weather. As you can see from the photos it is a bit green, is this normal? There are 2 plants, still in buckets on the shelves and I need to learn exactly how the heck to maintain this and what plants and animals if any I can add, and will I need additional equipment. Thanks!!
IMG_6666.JPG IMG_6667.JPG IMG_6668.JPG IMG_6669.JPG IMG_6670.JPG IMG_6671.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! Your pond would be perfect for a couple of goldfish.

Yes, new pond green is perfectly normal. Your pond water is trying to get balanced and the green you see is algae that is helping with that process. As for equipment - does your pump have a filter? A waterfall is good - you're adding aeration that way. Plants are great, as they will help with keeping your water clean once you get fish... and you will get fish!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The ice on our pond rarely gets more than four inches thick. That leaves lots of nice cold water for the fish! Brrrrr!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't care for southern foods ,all fried stuff and veggies grow 100 % better in NJ tha is why it is called the garden state .Sweet corn is the best ever there

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A small hardy waterlily, some water hyacinth and hornwort are probably sufficient to keep the pond stable through Summer, the slight bloom of green water indicates the pond is healthy and fertile. When you see itty bitty daphnia numbers taking off, dining on the algae, that might be good timing to add one or two itty bitty goldfish or shubunkin

Ask a Question