bought some new plants for the pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Went to the pond shop over the weekend and got some plants :)

Variegated water celery, corkscrew rush, and large gray sedge. Never had any of these before so I hope they will do okay.

I also got some parrots feather, hornwort, water lettuce and water hyacinth (all of which I have had before)

Just by adding these to the pond it has made such a huge difference in how it looks.

And on another note, when I went out with the dogs this morning there was an awful lot of chasing going on in the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Plants add so much to a pond and love all the varieties that you bought. I let my Hornwort go free yesterday from the plant ring it was in. It was just collecting too much gunk on it in there. I removed the ring completely as the screen was getting plugged up and even the extra big holes I made was not helping. Hornwort immediately ran over to the waterfall and snuggled itself up there and seems happy now. Hope the fish leave it alone now so it can grow lots.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I also bought pond plants today, and also bought Corkscrew Rush. I see it at every pond plant supplier so I had to get it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was so excited with my purchase, couldn't wait to get home with the plants lol (the little things that make me happy)

I would have loved to buy a few more but as it was I had spent more money that I wanted to.....I think I am going to place an order with William Tricker: http://www.tricker.com/ Looks like they sell watercress which I have been unable to find in any stores here. I placed an order the other day for some seeds but I would rather have plants that are already started if possible. May order some trapdoor snails too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can't put any plants in the new pond as it seems aggie and bert just want to destroy them and make a mess no matter what I do to protect the plants .With my lily I put it in a pot and zipped tied 2 crates together around it .But they kept pushing the crate until the pot fell over in it .I had it tied to the side of the pond and figured the lily would grow through all the holes in the crate .

Reaction score
Country
United States
My goodness sissy, Sounds like you have some naughty fish ;) You can always throw some floating silk lily pads in the pond. That's what I do until the live plants start filling in. I like to have them in the pond for cover for the fish and for the frogs to get up out of the water if they want.

I placed an order with Trickers. Ordered some watercress, forget me not, trapdoor snails and dwarf sweet flag. Not sure what to expect since I have never ordered from them before.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My goodness sissy, Sounds like you have some naughty fish ;) You can always throw some floating silk lily pads in the pond. That's what I do until the live plants start filling in. I like to have them in the pond for cover for the fish and for the frogs to get up out of the water if they want.

I placed an order with Trickers. Ordered some watercress, forget me not, trapdoor snails and dwarf sweet flag. Not sure what to expect since I have never ordered from them before.
Forget Me Nots!!!!! That's what I forgot!!! I remembered the Marsh Marigold, but forgot the FMN's!! Thanks for the reminder, LOL!

I've ordered from Wm. Tricker before. No complaints except that their shipments seem to take longer than some other online stores.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that's called a senior moment not I forgot ,i use it often .Funny thing is in the old pond they did not touch the lilies ,but the new pond everything is fair game .Even the grasses I got hanging over the edge of the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Can't put any plants in the new pond as it seems aggie and bert just want to destroy them and make a mess no matter what I do to protect the plants .With my lily I put it in a pot and zipped tied 2 crates together around it .But they kept pushing the crate until the pot fell over in it .I had it tied to the side of the pond and figured the lily would grow through all the holes in the crate .
Let me guess..........Aggie and Bert are KOI???!!! I'm going mad with trying to beautify my pond with plants....my koi have other ideas! I am having luck with some floating nets....although hubby found my bigger koi flopping around IN the net this morning! He used a net to lower the side and fish swam out.

On a positive note....my sunpatien I have floating bare root in the floating net, is blooming:)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was so excited with my purchase, couldn't wait to get home with the plants lol (the little things that make me happy)

Looks like they sell watercress which I have been unable to find in any stores here.

Me too! I love getting new plants. I'm not a big "gardener", but I do love making my habitat better for animals.

As for watercress, check your state's rules; you may be able to take some for free from the wild. We can here in Wisconsin.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep aggie and bert are koi aggie has learned how to dump over the floating nets too .She jumps onto the edge and the net flips over .They started flipping the plant nets last year .

Reaction score
Country
United States
thanks for the tips everyone :)

I just realized Trickers is only about a 40 minute drive from where I live. Maybe sometime in the future I will have to get the hubby to take me there.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh my herbs plants at Harris nursery are a 1.50 and I wait till they are ready to put new plants out and get them for 50 cents .I am patiently waiting .:):)

Ask a Question